Author Topic: Austin/Roberts/Pugh muddle?  (Read 16620 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Austin/Roberts/Pugh muddle?
« on: Friday 28 August 09 18:51 BST (UK) »
I have hit the proverbial brick wall and cannot go back any further, maybe someone might be able to help?

I have Emrys Austin born Dec  q 1903 who married Nella Pugh Sep q 1933 Bedwelty.  Can anyone help with the parents of this couple?

I have William Austin m Margaret Harris Mar q 1919, who went on to have Lavinia c1920 Eileen c1923 & Margaret c1926 (these are my mother's cousins).  Could anyone confirm that William Austin is my mother's Uncle born c1879?
Catherine Austin (sister to above) married I believe someone by the name of Will Dicks or Dix,  sometime after 1886.
There is also a John Austin who had children, Anita, Margaret and Jack (could poss be John?)

And lastly, I believe Sarah Austin (twin to Mary Austin who married William Roberts 1873 St Marks Church, Llanhileth) married Llewellyn (maybe surname or first name).

I seem to be getting very dizzy with all the Austins, Roberts & Pugh's I have in my family!  The confusion comes because my grandmother Sarah Austin married her first cousin Thomas John Roberts,  (this is because they believed they couldn't marry because of their relationship - cousins) and only just married in 1919.  So the first three children bore the name of Austin, then the last four Roberts.

Is there any kind soul who could find out my grandfathers army number for me?  His name Thomas John Roberts born 1879, lived in Blaina - Bournville Road (also has been known as Glanyrafon Terrace).  My grandfather was awarded medals for his bravery, returning to the front (so the family legend says) three times.  He had shrapnel in his leg, which was never removed.

Can anyone help me?
regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Wonderful Mother & Father
    • View Profile
Re: Austin/Roberts/Pugh muddle?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 August 09 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

I have Emrys Austin born Dec  q 1903 who married Nella Pugh Sep q 1933 Bedwelty.  Can anyone help with the parents of this couple?

If you are sure these are your family, your best bet would be to purchase the birth certificates as this will give the the mother & father's names. This will enable you to follow the parents back in the censuses.

The wedding cert will give father's names & occupations.

Can be purchased from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

If you have the 1911 Census you may find Emrys and Nella on there.

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx will allow you to search but you'll need credits to view the family entry.

Wendy :)
VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
Abram C[H]ARLSON Sweden/Ldn
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
STILES, DORTON, GOFFE, BLY Ldn
OSMOND Hants
All UK census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 August 09 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

Marriages Dec 1892 
AUSTIN    Catherine     Bedwelty    11a   123    
DICKS    William         Bedwelty    11a   123

Births Mar 1905
Pugh    Nella Jane    Bedwellty    11a    76

wendy :)
VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, HOLDER, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR, HALES/GOUGH, PRICE, COOK, BURNELL, HOLBIN, MERRY, GUNNING, WOOD, STOCK, GULLOCK, GWILLYM Som/Glos
COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, MEREDITH, HODGES, MESSIDER, SMALLRIDGE, BACHE, ELLSMORE Hfs
NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 August 09 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

Could this be Sarah? 

Marriages Sep 1906   
Austin    Sarah Rebekab     Pontypool    11a   284     ????
Edwards    David Morgan      Pontypool    11a   284   
ROGERS    Sarah Ann    Pontypool    11a   284    
WEST    Llewellyn         Pontypool    11a   284   ????

It seems rather late if she is the twin of Mary.

NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 09 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi that certainly looks like Sarah, and I am told she married a 'Llewellyn' and emigrated to Canada or USA.  Thanks for the birth of Nella Pugh, thats brilliant. 
My welsh family I hardly knew because my mother chose to move away from them, I am not in my senior years and am trying to place names, which I know nothing about pluse the complication of Roberts and Austin being related.  When I spoke some time ago to my Uncle his reaction sort of spurred me on 'What is dead is best left dead'.  He certainly had quite a chip on his shoulders.  So I have these names and cannot find out how they are connected, as the same names where used again and again.
My mother once said that Lavinia, Eileen and Margaret were sort of cousins but she didnt know where they fitted in, same with Emrys Austin a relation but where?  She also mentions that one of her Aunties she didnt know which married a William Dicks or Dix.
So I have all these names which I am trying to place within the recent family.  There is also a John Austin who had Anita, Margaret & Jack, havent a clue where they fit, but certainly must be an uncle and cousins
Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 August 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

I think you need to purchase some certificates of the people you know the dates of. As I mentioned, you would at least find the parents names and then you can expand by following the children of the parents.

Even if Thomas Roberts & Sarah Austin didn't marry until later, their parents should be on the wedding cert. Do you have it?

It is easier to work with the censuses as you'll get the whole family.

You have to try and narrow down some dates at least to give you an area for looking at the later Births & Marriages

On A**cestry they now have searches for marriages and births from 1837 - 2005, which I can access. As you don't mention the surnames of some of the relations it is difficult to discover their connection.

I think you should concentrate on your main line. Who is Nella & Emrys to you?

William Austin 1879 who m Margaret Harris - Do you think he is Sarah Austins' brother? If so, how old is your grandmother Sarah Roberts nee Austin ?

You can then flesh out the other branches when you have something to build on.

NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 August 09 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

I think I may have found the family but the William's age doesn't seem to tally with the one you have. How sure are you of your ages? Looks like the father is missing.

1871 Census at 12 Mount Pleasant, Aberystruth, Blaina, Bedwelty Monmouthshire

Meria Austin     39 Head Wife Receiving money from R? b Vertage [Varteg] Monmouthshire
Mary Jane Austin    15 Dau [Twin]  b Blaina, Monmouthshire,
Sarah Ann Austin    15 Dau [Twin] b Blaina, Monmouthshire,
John Austin    10 Son Scholar b Blaina, Monmouthshire,
James Austin    7 Son Scholar b Blaina, Monmouthshire,
William Austin    5 Son b Blaina, Monmouthshire,
Cathrine Austin 2 Dau b Brynmawr, Breconshire,
Thomas Austin 11 Months son b Blaina, Monmouthshire,
William Roberts 24 Boarder Collier b Gloucester, Newport
James Harris 23 b Boarder Collier b Herefordshire, Armstry

RG10 Piece 5317 Folio 98 Page 16

NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 August 09 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

1881 Census has this

19 Henwain Row, Aberstruth, Blaina, Bedwelty Monmouthshire

George Brown    40 Head Collier b Linton, Herefordshire
Clara [Looks like Maria] Brown 48 Wife b b Vertage [Varteg] Monmouthshire
John Austin    20 Stepson Collier b Blaina, Monmouthshire
James Austin    17 Stepson Collier b Blaina, Monmouthshire
William Austin    15 Stepson Collier b Blaina, Monmouthshire
Catherine Austin    12 Step dau Scholar b Brynmawr, Breconshire
Thomas Austin    10 Stepson Scholar b Blaina, Monmouthshire
RG11 Piece 5240 Folio 138 Page 33

Marriages Sep 1874   
AUSTIN    Maria        Pontypool    11a   184    
BROWN    George         Pontypool    11a   184

NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants

Offline wendy47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 August 09 15:20 BST (UK) »
1891 Census for 128 Abertylery [Abertillery?] Road, Aberstruth, Blaina, Bedwelty Monmouthshire

George Brown     51 Head Colliery Labourer b Newent Gloucestershire
Maria Brown    56 Wife b Varteg, [Pontypool], Monmouthshire
Thomas Austin    20 Stepson b Blaina, Monmouthshire, Wales
Catherine O Austin    22 Stepdau b Brynmawr Breconshire, Wales
Sarah Austin    3 Grandau b b Blaina, Monmouthshire, Wales ??????
William Clayton    22 Lodger Colliery Labourer Leominster Herefordshire
Thomas Lorie    17 Lodger Coal Miner Blaina, Monmouthshire, Wales
Joseph Brimble    15 Lodger Colliery Labourer Somerset, Frome

RG12 Piece 4353 Folio 60 Page 51

I wonder who Sarah belongs to and maybe she is your Grandmother if this is the correct family?

NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent
ADMONS Berks
CROWE, REYNOLDS, Suff
KITCHEN Nlk
COX, WAYLAND, LINE Wilts
OSMOND Hants