Author Topic: Austin/Roberts/Pugh muddle?  (Read 16614 times)

Offline rfaustin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Austin/Roberts/Pugh muddle?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 November 09 21:05 GMT (UK) »
...further again,

James Austin is listed as a stepson in the household of George Brown and Clara in the 1881 census. Assuming Clara is a transcription error or that she started using eg her middle name after remarrying, and that she is James Austin's mother, I also thought she could have been Meria Austin in the earlier census, and also wonder whether she might have been Maria Bartle, this being the only Maria born in Blaenavon/Varteg around that time, that I have found so far. I have not been able to find out James Austin's father's name yet.

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 23 November 09 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, please could you give me your name?  Mine is actually Pauline and my mother is Jean Roberts.  Emrys was my great great Uncle (I think?).  I have a wealth of info on the Austin/Roberts family, have you taken a look at the picture under my name?  It show Thomas John Roberts who was my grandfather and Sarah Jane Roberts nee Austin who was my grandmother.

regards Trish (Pauline)
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 November 09 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a comprehensive family tree of Roberts and Austin, going back to John Austin who married Maria Pugh.  Thanks for the info alot I have, but couldnt quite work out the relationship to Emrys.  I am told by my mother that John Austin who married a samuel had a lot of businesses in Blaina.  I also have been trying to get the Army service records for my granddad Thomas John Roberts, you dont happen to have his service number do you?  I have been speaking to Michael Gear (my cousin) as we want to get hold of his army records for my mum who is 80 years old!
I had intended to come up to Blaina for a couple of days, to do some research.

regards Pauline
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline rfaustin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 November 09 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish
Now I am a bit confused!!
I understand your grandmother was Sarah Ann Roberts, nee Austin. If she was daughter of William Austin born 1866, whose  mother was Maria Austin (later "Clara" Brown) then we are third cousins. Also, Emrys Austin was your cousin-twice-removed.
My name is Richard Austin. I am currently in South Yorkshire. My father was Ifor b1928, his father was Thomas John b1890, his father was James b1864. Emrys was my grandfather's youngest brother. Your greatgrandfather was my greatgrandfather's brother.
Do you know what our greatgreatgrandfather's name was, ie Maria Austin/Brown's first husband's name? Or do you know her maiden name?
By the way, my uncle, Howard Austin, is second cousin to one of your parents.

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 November 09 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Maria Pugh married 1st John Austin, he went out to Hughsovka/Stalino/Dontesk to teach iron ore mining to the Ukraine miners.  Maria and her children (so the family story goes) was due to go out to him but got a message that he had died.  The family legend is that he met and married a ukrainian woman.  I have searched for his death but cannot find it.  There is no documentary evidence to support the idea that John went to Hughsovka other than the census - Maria was 'receiving  money from Russia'  I saw a programme about Hughsovka and that only 30 odd men are listed but hundreds went.  It is still a welsh valley, they continue to speak  Welsh there.
Maria then married George Brown, I believe he was a widower.
Yes Sarah Ann Austin was my grandmother, daughter of William Austin and 'Polly' Francis, I have this family tree too.  Howard would be second cousin to my mother Jean Fear nee Roberts.  Its a bit complicated because the first two or three of my mothers brothers were Austins and the others Roberts.   This is because Thomas John Roberts was cousin to Sarah Ann Austin and they werent allowed to get married.  Do you know that my mother had another brother who was adopted when Thomas John was presumed dead in WW!.
I cannot believe I have found a new cousin that I didnt know about.  I will send you my email address, I can then swop info with you and pictures.  regards Pauline

Offline Cymruwest

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 01 July 11 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi - I realize I am two years too late chasing this thread. I just came across this today. I would like to get in touch with Trish and RF Austin. I am of the line of Catherine Austin, daughter of Maria Pugh and John Austin. I am so interested in learning about this Russia/Ukraine legend as I have the tree from Catherine's line down to me and am looking for that line through Maria and John backwards. Please contact me if you receive this. I am at: cymruwest[at]yahoo.com.