Author Topic: Lowe Family, Haddington and Glasmuir and Musselburgh  (Read 11782 times)

Offline hjm020

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lowe Family, Haddington and Glasmuir and Musselburgh
« on: Friday 28 August 09 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've been researching my mother's fathers side of the family but due to the ammount of children each of my relatives had and the repetion in names I'm losing track.

To my knowledge George Lowe (1801 aprox) married Marrion Cairns (1801 aprox)
They had 8 children
Eliza (1826)
David (1829)
Alexander (1831)
George (1834)
Peter (1836)
Euphemia (1838)
Marrion (1840)
Jane (1843)

However both David and Eliza do not appear on the first census and only return after Georges dissapearence so I wondered if anyone knew of their whereabouts during this time.

George (1834) married Georgina Lawler (1843), daughter of John Lawler and Georgina Smith,  and ahd seven children.
George (1869)
John (1870)
David (1873)
William (1875)
Mary (1877)
Alexandria (1878)
Alexander (1881)

David (1873) then married Helen Mcleay (1870), daughter of Alexander Mcleay and Louise Jamison and had up to twelve children.
To my knowledge they had
George (1898)
David (1899) who became Sir David Lowe of Elvingston
Alexander (1901)
John (1902) (possibly)
William (1904) I know william died young but I am unsure when and what caused his death.
James (1906)
Robert (1910)
Arthur and Margaret (Meg) (Twins 1914). I know she was an honest lass in Musselburgh when the family lived there.

Arthur was my grandad, i know he had two other sisters aside from his twin but can't find records of them and it is possible that one of the boys is a cousin and not a brother of my grandfather.

I know that the family have lived either in Haddington of Mussleburgh for the last 200years and was looking for any information or photo's people may have.

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lowe Family, Haddington and Glasmuir and Musselburgh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 August 09 00:53 BST (UK) »
However both David and Eliza do not appear on the first census and only return after Georges dissapearence so I wondered if anyone knew of their whereabouts during this time.

By the first census, do you mean 1841? If so, David is with his mother and father at Woodside, Haddington aged 12. Sister Eliza is not in that household, but I believe she is the Elizabeth Lowe aged 15 who is a female servant to a John Veitch at Woodside also. Both households are free to view at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

George and Marion had another child who must have died young. Rachel was born 9th April and bapt. 18th April 1824 at Gladsmuir by the Rev. Hamilton. From the names of this daughter and son David, this is likely to be George's birth in Tranent:

"David Low Labourer in Seton and Rachel Tait
his wife had a son born the 24th Sept 1800
baptized the 13th October and named George
Wits. Robert Dobson and Robert Gullan"

There is a possible baptism for Marion on the 13th May 1798 at Tranent, daughter of Alexander Cairns and Mary Brown.

hume :)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 August 09 01:04 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention. The baptisms of George and Marion's children both in Gladsmuir and Haddington can be found on http://www.freereg.org.uk/

On the SP index for pre-1855 deaths and burials, I found Rachel Low's (nee Tait) death in 1818 at Tranent. There is a possible for father David in 1828 also at Tranent.

hume

Offline ronaUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 March 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
So you're a child of Catherine Helen?
My mother is her cousin, Margaret (daughter of Alex and Peggy)

Offline ronaUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 11 21:53 BST (UK) »
Have you seen http://www.honesttoun.co.uk/history.html? There's a picture of Provost Lowe (Arthur and Alex et al's father - later Alex was a councillor) There's Aunt Mag (1938 honest lass - looks remarkably like my mother) - she was also an attendant the following year.
I have quite a lot of pictures of various family members if you want them.
Douglas, another brother, was Town Champion - think 1936, I'd need to check.

Offline hjm020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 May 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rona,

Sorry for the late reply! Yes I am Catherine Helen's eldest, Heather :)
I think I have just about figured out the Lowe side now, there were just so many children in each generation, all with the same names as the previous generation that I was getting it muddled. Yes I looked at those pictures from Musselburgh, the originals are actually still on the walls at Redcoll. It transpires that in the 250years I've managed to trace we have moved a grand total of 2.5miles! From Woodside at Gladsmuir to Longniddry. If you would like any information then I'm on Genes Reunited however I think I may be moving to ancestory soon, or I can just email you it.

Kind Regards,

Heather Morrison

Offline bobsing

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 June 12 08:07 BST (UK) »
My mother was Agnes Ewart Lowe , known as Jenny, Her father was John, brother to George, Sir David , Arthur et al.

She married  Robert Steen and gave birth to Jane, Mary and Robert.

After my father died she later married George Lowe (and so reverted to her maiden name Lowe). and George spent his last years with her in Brockenhurst, Hampshire where he and she are now buried.

Robert Steen