Author Topic: book on convict lives  (Read 30169 times)

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
book on convict lives
« on: Saturday 29 August 09 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

yesterday I was given a book about convicts, 'For Better or Worse', convict Lives shaped by transportation, by Tony Satchell.
There is a number of convicts listed and some history on them, also some images of what they may have looked like based on the description given.

Happy to provide info to anyone who has a convict listed in the book.

It is a decent list of names but would be willing to put the list up if that is easier.

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: book on convict lives
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 August 09 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

My convicts are Thomas Johnson and Sarah Perry or Trueman (she could appear under either name).  Are either of them mentioned?

Thanks

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 August 09 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

What a lovely gift.  Any mention of Charles Vimpany?

Thanks
Sue

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 August 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, neither, Thomas Johnson, Sarah Perry or Trueman are mentioned,.
Also no Charles Vimpany, sorry.

On reading the Foreword it states:
This book portrays the lives of 88 convicts transported to Van Diemen's Land, NSW and Western australia.
Twelve convicts came from Ireland, 6 from Scotland and the remainder England.
Details of the lives of 82 have been provided by their descendants, and the remainder is a result of my research.

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 August 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
Oh well, it was worth a try.

Thank you very much for looking

Sue

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 August 09 01:11 BST (UK) »
Not about the book but a snippet about the author -  Tony SATCHELL transcribed a diary which was written during a journey from England to Victoria in 1847.  The author of the diary was a distant rellie.  I found the transcribed diary at the NLA with information that it could be copied,  but was advised I would need the author's permission, copyright and all that!  Fortunately the library had Tony's contact details and he did much better than give permission for the NLA to copy, he mailed me one of his copies.  Very much appreciated by me :)

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 August 09 01:34 BST (UK) »
How wonderful Cando, sounds like a lovely gentleman.
But brings me to worry, am I allowed to provide the details of his book to fellow Rootschatters, or do I need his permission :-\ :P

Margaret

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 August 09 04:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking anyway, Margaret!  :)

He does indeed sound a very nice man.

I think it's quite legal to copy less than 10% of a book for private research purposes, so I'm sure you'll be fine if any Rootschatter DOES have a convict included in the book!  It will be a bit of a long shot anyway, with so few included.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline ricoba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 August 09 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just wondering if you have any Sims from wiltshire  transported c1830.Thanks
Sims KENT
Hawkins GLOUS
Clarke STAFFORD
Danks WARW
Parker WARW
Godfrey M/SEX
RossWARW