Author Topic: book on convict lives  (Read 30173 times)

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
Re: book on convict lives
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 30 May 10 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Hal,

Here is the convict record for your John Bethwick. His last name is transcribed as Beckwith.

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON33-1-35,273,36,L,80

I also found this marraige for your John.

John Clarke Beckwith married Sophia Denny 28/3/1854 registered at Hobart.
Reg number 814/1854  RGD 37.

I could find no children born to this couple.

I found a John Beckwith buried at the Cornelian Bay Cemetery.
Buried with him is a Sophia Beckwith.I would say that this is your John  Clarke Beckwith and his wife Sophia Beckwith {nee Denny}
Also buried with them is a William Denny. :)
Wesley, section J,number 54.

Johngirl
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 30 May 10 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Hal I found a bit more.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/8793904?searchTerm=john+clarke+beckwith

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12712478?searchTerm=john+clarke+beckwith
Not sure about that one.Its is a marraige notice for his daughter but does say John Clarke Beckwith is from Bentley Suffolk England.There is also mention of a sister of the bride. ;D Sorry but I could find no children for John and Sophia. ???

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12668524?searchTerm=john+clarke+beckwith

Interesting one for a death notice for John` brother.Has information also about John Clarke Beckwith. Bit hard to read though as its faded. :(

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12302484?searchTerm=john+clarke+beckwith

Obituary notice for John Clarke Beckwith.Strange one as it also has a death notice for him under the name Denny that has been put in the paper by his wife Sophia. :o

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/12387951?searchTerm=john+clarke+beckwith

Obituary notice for Sophia Beckwith John`s wife.

There are more articles on John Clarke Beckwith in the Newspapers.Click onto the link below and type in John Clarke Beckwith. Click onto the Mercury newspapers and you will find the articles.Mainly in the advertising sections but you may find more in the news sections.

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/

The will of John Clarke Beckwith.

http://digital.statelibrary.tas.gov.au:1801/view/action/nmets.do?DOCCHOICE=AD960-1-26-6584.xml&dvs=1275227439704~49&locale=en_AU&search_terms=&adjacency=&DELIVERY_RULE_ID=4&usePid1=true&usePid2=true

Hope this helps :)

Johngirl
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline Hal2001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 31 May 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Johngirl,

Thank you for a wonderful response and for a speedy reply; and for the extra work in providing me with so much additional information to absorb.

Sorry for getting the name wrong - a bad case of transposition.  As I sit here I am wondering - is it Bethwick or is it Beckwith?  Just kidding, you got it right!

Thanks again

HAL

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 03 June 10 02:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Hal,

Thats Ok. ;D   :-*   I will try and find the children to John and Sophia as they obviously had children. ;D

Next time I visit the Cornelian Bay Cemetery I will see if there is a headstone for John and Sophia. :)

Johngirl
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline doofey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 04 June 10 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

I have just discovered this post and was very excited.  My ancestors were William Peeler and Mary Bentley.  I would love any info on them that is in the book you have.

Thanks in advance.
Brooke

Offline majicke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 12 July 10 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret,
I'm another one who's just come across your lovely offer. I am connected to Francis SOWTER. I would love any information that you have to offer.

Regards,
Kathryn
Interests - BLACK, RUSSELL, MORGAN, ATTWOOD, SCOTT, MCKAY, COLLITTS, WILSON, MOSSMAN, MORTIMER, GRIBBLE, HANSEN, WARD, MCBAIN, THOMPSON, STABEL, SOWTER, KEATING, HUNT, KELLY, RILEY, SMITH, KENT, CREECH

Offline doofey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 12 July 10 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathryn,

Recently in Tasmania I came across this book.  I am willing to share any info with you about your ancestor.  Would you like to email me at?

Thanks,
Brooke

Moderator Comment: email address removed as per RootsChat policy. Please use our secure PM (personal message) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Offline majicke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 12 July 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Brooke,

That'd be fantastic. Please PM me with the details.

Cheers,
Kathryn
Interests - BLACK, RUSSELL, MORGAN, ATTWOOD, SCOTT, MCKAY, COLLITTS, WILSON, MOSSMAN, MORTIMER, GRIBBLE, HANSEN, WARD, MCBAIN, THOMPSON, STABEL, SOWTER, KEATING, HUNT, KELLY, RILEY, SMITH, KENT, CREECH

Offline terribrown

• RootsChat Member
  • My G Grandfather Richard William Golley
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 06:00 BST (UK) »
Hi little meg
 I think you have just about become the most popular person on rootschat at the moment.

Levi Emmerton, the son of 'Newman Emmerton' on your list, married into my Skinner line. Newman was apparently a very colourful character and married Jane Hayward in 1849 in Adelaide. There is quite a bit about him on the web.
This is all I have on him so I presume it is the same person

Newman was sent on 2nd May, 1834 to the 'Leviathan' prison hulk (one of up to 40 prison ships in various river ports,  before transportation. The "Leviathan" was built in 1790/2 at Chatham as a 74 gun warship and was part of the flotilla at the Battle of Trafalgar. The ship was used as a prison and convict hulk from 1816 to 1843 being finally broken up in 1843 at Portsmouth.
He is assumed to have received a ticket of leave and moved to Adelaide where he married in 1849.
He was married in the original St Johns Church, Halifax Street, Adelaide on 27th April, 1849 to Jane Hayward
Jane who was born at Bathford near Bath in 1829 had travelled to Hobart on the ship "ORLEANA" from London/Plymouth
as an immigrant. Family consisted of parents and 6 children. She moved to Adelaide arriving on the ship "SISTERS" from Hobart in 26th June,1845 with her mother and other children. Her father was already in Adelaide

I don't want any info from your book because he is no real direct relationship to me....
What a great book to have come into possession of!!
Skinner and Smith from Kent,
Ward, Drury,Ely, Hobden  from Selby area Yorkshire
Ashdown,Maplesen from  Kent
Cardell, Parminter, Curnow, Golley from Cornwall and Devon
Glansford, Willmott England to Australia
Glansford, Willmott, England to Australia
Mould, Devon to Australia
Austin, Emmerton, Lomman in Australia

Coleman, Wales to Australia
and many more

Coleman