Author Topic: Missing Houses in Blaenavon  (Read 1403 times)

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Missing Houses in Blaenavon
« on: Saturday 29 August 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
I visited Blaenavon today, where my 3xG grandparents lived. I had found them on the census in both 1871 and 1881, living in King Street in Blaeavon and I really wanted to see their house.

I found the street, but was very disappointed to find that the houses between numbers 54 and 69 were missing - they lived at number 62! There is now a big overgrown area in between, which is, no doubt, a haven for wildlife, but I was left wondering what had happened to the buildings that once stood there.

If there is anyone out there who knows Blaenavon at all, that could fill me in, I would be most grateful

My 3xG grandfather was Thomas Underwood and according to the census, he was an ironmonger. I presume this means he had a shop, rather than working at the ironworks? If anyone out there knows the Underwoods of Blaenavon - please do get in touch.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Julie
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline rickjt62

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Houses in Blaenavon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 19:44 BST (UK) »
Julie

I'm not sure when these buildings were demolished but it is within my living memory ie not more than 40 years ago

King Street used to be the main shopping thoroughfare for Blaenavon and there were many shops of on either side of the street

In the 1871 Census my great-great grandfather had a shop almost opposite No 62 at No 15 King Street

And in the 1911 Census my great-grandmother was the owner of a grocery store at 55-56 King Street

Look further down the street and there is a Richard Underwood at No 11 - he is in my family tree

Regards
Rich

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Houses in Blaenavon
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Rich

Ah - so the missing houses were not war damaged! I cannot seem to find out what happened to them from official sources ie the council. I will have to go to the museum in Blaenavon itself to see if anything can come to light there.

Interesting that you have Richard Underwood in your family tree. I dont have a Richard in mine at this moment, but I wonder - part of the extended family?

Perhaps my Thomas actually lived above his shop? The census just gives the number.

Do you live in the area? I am in Chepstow, not too far away. I have a couple of pictures that I took of King Street if you are interested - I could post them on here or email them to you if you would like them.

Thank you for coming back to me - this is the best bit of information I have had on the missing houses, Im so pleased you replied to my post.

Take care

Julie
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;