Author Topic: single mothers home run by nuns  (Read 71245 times)

Offline mso1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: single mothers home run by nuns
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 04 November 12 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm not ashamed to say that I cried when I read your message Joanne, thinking of the young girls I met in my time at Broome Lane who were not able or allowed to keep their babies, it was so immensely difficult for every one of them.

Over the years, I have often thought about a young lass who was in the next bed to me at the Maternity Home where I gave birth to my son. She was only 14 years old and I was 16 and just didnt know how to console her when they took her baby away and social workers just left her to sob after telling her she would 'now be able to get on with her life'. We were alone and 'segregated' in a separate ward from the married mums. The nurses were very caring but most of the social workers weren't and I must admit that I suffered for a long time because of the extremely harsh and lengthy rebuke I received from one of them for deciding to keep my baby.

I am glad you and your BM now have a good relationship and sincerely hope that one day her family have a change of heart.
Moss - Herefordshire/Shropshire
Shutt - Herefordshire/Worcestershire
Morris - Herefordshire
Price -  Shropshire
Preece - Herefordshire
Gittins - Herefordshire/Shropshire
Wilde - Shropshire
Parkes - Shropshire

O'Neill - Waterford/Lancashire
Burns - Waterford/Lancashire
Bentley - Lancashire/Yorkshire
Berry - Yorkshire/Lancashire
Marsden - Yorkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 04 November 12 13:48 GMT (UK) »
I was reunited with my daughter who I gave up for adoption in 1960 (for her good and so that I could then forget and get on with my life :o ), but by the time she found me again she was over 45 and although we are in touch, I wouldn't say we have a good relationship.  We get on OK, but not only does she live in a different country, but her beliefs and outlook on life are so different to mine and the rest of my family.  You might think nuture took over from nature, but she is not like her adoptive parents either.

If it's possible, it seems she is like her birth father, who she has never met.  I understand as he got older, his beliefs became like hers are today.  Spooky. 

Offline MDT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,just read the posts re Broom lane ,I was an unmarried mum in St Teresa's in 1969 ,not the best of memories ,

Hello again.. This thread has moved on quite a bit since I was last here. Thankyou to all who have contributed their memories. I'm specifically interested in Barwal's post above since my Birth Mother was in St Theresa's from the middle of February to the end of March 1969. I'd be really interested to hear your experiences either on here or by private message if you don't want to post in public.

Thanks all:-)

Offline ktw23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 28 April 13 23:46 BST (UK) »
Its a long time since i was on here my mother had me in march 1965 and 6 weeks later i went to stay with my grandparents but i would like to see photos of it as its not something that was spoke about

Offline aj1308

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 15 July 13 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I have just recently found out my mother and aunty both lived here in the 1950's.  Both my mum and aunty have since died, but we have found out my aunty had a secret daughter.  I am left with questions as to why and if my mother lived here too (Broom Lane).  My mother and aunt were Irish Catholics, but I really don't know where I would start looking to see if my mum did live here or just stayed with her sister (if that was even possible although she would never have left her sister's side). 

Can anybody suggest where I would go to find out this ifnormation please?

Offline ktw23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 20 July 13 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I have just recently found out my mother and aunty both lived here in the 1950's.  Both my mum and aunty have since died, but we have found out my aunty had a secret daughter.  I am left with questions as to why and if my mother lived here too (Broom Lane).  My mother and aunt were Irish Catholics, but I really don't know where I would start looking to see if my mum did live here or just stayed with her sister (if that was even possible although she would never have left her sister's side). 

Offline aj1308

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 11 August 13 16:13 BST (UK) »

Does anyone remember a Mary Kelleher around the 1956/1957 period of time in Broom Lane.  Also, did people just work here or did they have to be pregnant?  Thanks

Offline MDT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 24 August 13 19:26 BST (UK) »

Does anyone remember a Mary Kelleher around the 1956/1957 period of time in Broom Lane.  Also, did people just work here or did they have to be pregnant?  Thanks

Hi aj1308,

Caritas in Salford is the organisation that should hold any records for Broom Lane. They have a website.. http://www.caritassalford.org.uk/ . I don't know if the home employed people other than the Nuns I'm afraid

Offline missingmccabe

• RootsChat Member
  • I thought I was the lone survivor..think again
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 24 August 13 22:57 BST (UK) »

Hello.. the caritas salford does hold records for Broom Lane.  I have been instructed they are minimal in their contents.  They will trace and mediate for a fee, it 100 pounds 2 years ago.  What I have learned from my trace is in the 50-60's residents had to pay to have their phone number listed in the directory.  So I would assume many unwed mothers who were residing with people did not list their info.  The area did have a large Irish population and so many women came from Ireland to have their children safely.  Unless they decided to stay, they probably did not go on the electoral registers that are held at the archives.  You could potentially trace on findmypast.co.uk for a name.  But in my mother's case, she moved from Dublin to have her birth in Manchester, to then take advantage of the Australian immigration movement and the 10 pom cruise... I was able to trace info my mother had written down on an old visa application. I was very lucky.  But I can see she stayed with an Irish couple all the way through her pregnancy and after the birth.  There are so many stories.. don't limit your search just to England, from my own personal experience.

Hi aj1308,

Caritas in Salford is the organisation that should hold any records for Broom Lane. They have a website.. http://www.caritassalford.org.uk/ . I don't know if the home employed people other than the Nuns I'm afraid
Reeves, McCabe, Hogan