Author Topic: Hilditch family of Antrim  (Read 15028 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hilditch family of Antrim
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 January 10 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Rootschat isn't a forum for tracing living people and you mustn't post details of living, or possibly living, people here. After you've made 2/3 posts you'll be able to use PM (personal message) system and people can contact you that way if they've any recent details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Khaines62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 January 10 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for that - this would prove difficult as I only have these names above to go on, as this man is not computer literate, and am trying to get some results for him.  In this case it is finding the living relatives so he can take things further if he wishes.  This man has long lost touch with his relations and I am trying to cast the net as wide as I can.   

Apologies again.

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 January 10 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It may be that one of these threads relates to the Hilditch family you friend seeks. I am afraid I can't help more at present as I don't have the dates/ages of the family you mention - as the moderator says after a couple of posts you can send me a private message with more details and I'll see what I can track down for you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 January 10 23:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a section in help pages with hints for tracing living people you might want to look through-
www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php#living
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Khaines62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 January 10 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I will read through those links.   I think whatever happens it will be difficult as getting ages will be pure approximation!!!! 

Myself I possibly have an Irish father from Limerick, so I may find something myself on this site!! Although in my case it depends on whether or not my mother has lied to me - so maybe this Irish bloke never existed - anyway, that has nothing to do with this thread, so I'll not carry on about that here.

Thanks again for the link - Jim was asking this morning.

Offline gcloyal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
My surname is Hilditch. My great grandfather was Sandy or Alexander Hilditch who lived in the Whitehouse area of north Belfast. He died about 1962. I think he had a family of about 12 and I think my grandfather, James, was the eldest. He was born in 1907 and died in 1994. I live in the North Antrim area.
Hi - my great grandfather was also Alexander Hilditch from Whitehouse!! My grandmother was Cassie (Catherine) - James's sister. I have been trying to do some research just lately and have managed to trace some details on 1911 Irish census and Ulster Covenant on PRONI web-site but other than that nothing much else. Have you had any luck would love to know if you have as I would really like to put a family tree together. I now live in Queensland Australia.

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi GCloyal,
I researched this family for the Hooded Claw and got back a couple more generations with a high degree of certainty. I will have to dig out my notes. I have been collecting every bit of info on this family for many years now, in the hope - sadly rather a forlorn one as the register I need was lost in 1922 - of trying to find one of my ancestors from Ballyeaston. However on the way I have built up a pretty extensive database from all the scraps of info, including quite a few certificates, and that let me trace this family. You can now search the 1901 census yourself now of course, at the same place as the 1911 one in Ireland.

Offline gcloyal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 23 September 10 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Kingsgate thanks for that I would really appreciate any assistance you might be able to provide and would be happy to meet any postage costs if you have documents. I'm new to this and have found it really interesting.Regards GCLoyal

Offline kingsgate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 23 September 10 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi - here is a sarter, which I know you have found:
in the 1911 census, at Thompson Street, Whitehouse:

Alexander Hilditch  aged 25, Presbyterian, smiths helper, married 4 years, had 3 children, all living
Mary A                aged 23, wife, flax spinner
William J                        4  son, Presbyterian
Roseanne                       2, daughter
Thomas F                       1, son
Elizabeth T Finney          12, sister in law, scholar

Did you also find his father - at Cahoon Street, Whitehouse?:

William James Hilditch aged 49, Presbyterian, cannot read , general labourer, b Antrim
Catherine                         48, married 26 years, had 4 children, 3 still alive
Rose Ann                          18 daughter, read and write, linen spinner
Catherine                          16, daughter, can read and write, linen spinner
William John Marks              15, nephew, linen doffer, cannot read

More to follow!