Author Topic: old churchyard of Ahoghill  (Read 3616 times)

Offline MClark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: old churchyard of Ahoghill
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 March 22 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link KG and for the welcome  :)

I've done quite a bit of research on Fanny Jane Winning and Samuel Hood's family using https://civilrecords/irishgenealogy.ie, as well as my own grandmother's siblings and their children.  On our first trip to Northern Ireland in 2006 we found a gravestone in 1st Presbyterian, Ahoghill, placed there by my great-grandfather, David Kirkpatrick in memory of his wife, Mary Winning and her parents Mary and William Winning.  We've been back 4 times since then and even met with Kirkpatrick and Doherty relatives in Belfast.  In 2018, as we were walking by the river in Antrim (where the Kirkpatricks and Hoods lived in 1901)  we met a man from the area who pointed to a local pub and told us if we came back on a Friday nights we'd be sure to find someone who knew my family.

I'm hoping if MazHood sees my post she may be able to provide details on William Winning and his wife Mary Connor from the bible their daughter Fanny Jane and her husband Samuel Hood started.

As children we were told about a family bible left at home when my grandparents came to Canada. This may not be the bible my grandmother referred to but at least it's a bible that might provide me with a little more detail about the family my grandmother left behind.

Maureen
Winning / Connor - Ahoghill, Kirkpatrick / Kilpatrick, Antrim or Belfast, Doherty - Antrim

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 March 23 07:29 GMT (UK) »

Thank you Gaffy

My father is in possession of the Family Bible which was started by Samuel Hood and his wife Fanny Jane (Winning).  It mentions all the individuals on the 2nd inscription you sent.  Would I be amiss in thinking that Robert Hood and Ellen Nichols were related to the other Hoods in the same cemetary?  Being maybe the brother of Samuel Hood and his wife Fanny.

Maz

Apologies for not coming back to you, I've just noticed it.  Yes I agree, it looks likely that Samuel Hood of Gloonan (d. 1870) and his wife Eliza (d. 1879, civil registration below) had 3 sons, John, Samuel and Robert.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1879/06531/4881895.pdf

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 April 23 03:38 BST (UK) »
maggieblue
                 I have just come across this post.
 I note that you have photographed all the Graves in the old cemetery. Are there any graves with the names Taylor or Pedan in the old Cemetary.
    I have James Taylor married Martha Jane Pedan in 1868 in Aghadowey 
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 07 April 23 09:35 BST (UK) »

I have James Taylor married Martha Jane Pedan in 1868 in Aghadowey

Wyanga,

For others to see, here's the link to your 1868 marriage in Aghadowey Presbyterian Church.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1868/11445/8204293.pdf

James Taylor living in the townland of Mullahinch [sic].
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/aghadowey/agivey/mullaghinch/

Martha J Pedan living in the townland of Moneybrannon.
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/coleraine/aghadowey/aghadowney/moneybrannon/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline MazHood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 July 23 15:03 BST (UK) »
@Gaffy

What information are you wanting from the family bible for William Winning and Mary Conner?  If I can help, I will.  It does however follow more of the Hood line, with a few other surnames for the female Hood marriages.

Regards
Marian

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 July 23 15:29 BST (UK) »
MazHood, I think it was username 'MClark' at reply #9 that was after information.

Offline MClark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 July 23 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hello - Yes, it was me requesting information on William Winning and Mary Conner.  I would be interested in knowing whether it indicates who either of their parents were and whether it gives any details on Fanny Jane's siblings  - Mary Agnes (my great-grandmother), William, Sarah, Thomas and Alexander? 

Thanks in advance for any details you may be able to provide.

Regards,
Maureen
Winning / Connor - Ahoghill, Kirkpatrick / Kilpatrick, Antrim or Belfast, Doherty - Antrim

Offline MazHood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 July 23 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

It has the names of both William and Mary Winning, and their death dates as William d. 14 Jan 1900 and Mary d. 28 Jan 1909.  Unfortunately it has no other information regarding the Winning side.  From those two dates I have managed to peace together the siblings of Fanny Hood (nee Winning).

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 July 23 02:25 BST (UK) »
Kiltaglassan
                 Many thanks for the links to the James Taylor and Martha Pedan marriage amd the locality of the townlands mentioned in the record. i have been trying to find james 's father William and think i may have him as a William Taylor that died in the poor house at Coleraine in 1862. No proof though.
This William might be the William baptised in Claghy, Ballymoney in 1813 with parents Alexander Taylor and Martha McCann. I see that Mullahinch is very near to Ballymoney.
lack of records is making i very difficult to be sure.
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar