Author Topic: Day trip to Where?  (Read 16123 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Day trip to Where?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 07:58 BST (UK) »
is it? i thought it was a row of terraced houses... but i may just be able to see an engine..... :P

xin

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 09:45 BST (UK) »
Amazed! It looks very clear to me on my ancient computer which is usually too dark to see things other folk can spot (it needs a bigger candle behind the screen I think).

There are two pale gable-ends of houses, top centre. Immediately to the right is a tank-engine, probably an 0-6-2T, and almost certainly from the Midland Railway. Just to the right is a shortish carriage - maybe a 6-wheeler - with part of another carriage next to it, to the photograph's edge. The carriages look like they also belong to the MR.

(Sorry, maybe I'm just being boring, but I'm often very impressed on Rootschat by experts who can pin down the date of a photo by the details of frocks and hats and hairstyles.)
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 10:24 BST (UK) »
...wow  'what big eyes you have'!!

here it is    extremely well spotted...

inverted to be able to see it!

Offline Henry7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 13:05 BST (UK) »
Yep, that's it; there's an open window in the carriage (a white oblong on your neg.).

Maybe the train is a special excursion for the people in and around the bus. Maybe they have just arrived and are parked in a station forecourt somewhere, before getting into their train.  Should be fairly easy to discover exactly where: - railway (and platform) on top of an embankment, houses beyond, road and station entrance low down. Assume early in the day, so the sun's position might suggest roughly where north lies. 

A bit of map-work might sort it out.

Offline Man of Kent

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 13:44 BST (UK) »
Yep. it's a Train alright.
Bet you can't name the driver ;D ;)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 14:16 BST (UK) »
got 2 have been  'casey'

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 18:02 BST (UK) »
Well...... that engine is bugging me  ??? It is a tank engine..... and.... looks to me very much like a Robinson C14 Great Central Railway Class 9L Atlantic Tank Engine. I might well be mistaken, but that unusually large dome is typical of the class.

Perhaps judge for yourselves here;

http://www.lner.info/locos/C/c14.shtml

I do believe the photo will have been taken at the beginning of the trip rather than the end, as I have a very similar picture of a group outing taken in 1921 just before the charabanc set off from Bradford to Bridlington for the day! Perhaps the charabanc has picked up the folk and taken them to the railway station for a trip to the coast.

Hope you don't mind but I reversed the train to give a better comparison with the Robinson loco on the above site.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 September 09 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thats amazing, so now I have a day trip on a train, to somewhere on the Hay-Brecon Railway (probably).  The train was probably a Robinson C14 Great Central Railway 9L Atlantic tank engine on the Midland Railway.

Great idea dealing with the picture by reversing.  All I need now is to figure out the trip by looking at a map?

Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline Henry7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 18 September 09 12:37 BST (UK) »
The engine in the photo isn't a Great Central Railwal 4-4-2T as suggested.  It has a 'splasher' at the front (the half- round thing down from the engine funnel) - a sort of mudguard over the wheel - which, from its size, is obviously over a driving wheel. Hence the engine doesn't have bogie wheels leading, but driving wheels.

I thought it was an 0-6-2T but (after a bit of reading) I'm sure now that it's a Midland Railway 0-4-4T.  And my money's on the Neath & Brecon line.

Assuming the photo is of a party from South Wales, the nearest they'd have seen a Great Central Railway engine was at Wrexham.