Author Topic: Am I barking up the wrong tree?  (Read 12215 times)

Offline MrsSheila

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Am I barking up the wrong tree?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 December 08 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice, new to this site and am finding my way. hopefully will be able to make some headway

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 December 08 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the Beginners' Board and the tips on How to use Rootschat.  You will soon get the hang of it.
Andrea

Offline carolm3150

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 March 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I've just come across this old posting. Not sure if anyone is still interested in this.
I've been doing some research on James Griffiths RGA. I have his service record and some pages from his widows pension file.
James volunteered for the Army in December 1915 under the Derby Scheme. He was 40 years old at the time. He wasn't called up until 19th June 1916. A few days earlier he and Annie got married at the Registry office in Hereford, probably so there would be no problems with the Separation Allowance. (The statement on the 1911 census that they'd been married for 15 years was a fib.)
James was killed on 24th April 1917, two months after arriving in France. Annie was awarded a pension of 13 shillings and 9 pence for herself and 20 shillings for her 6 dependant children.

Annie lists 9 children on her original application, starting with Nellie Francis born 24 March 1897 and ending with Fanny, born 19 August 1915. Elizabeth Doris (29 December 1899) is shown as living in Preston, Nellie is "at present at home" and all the others are at home - 2 Bank Cottage Holmes, Hereford.
Hope this helps someone. Happy to supply copies of documents if requested.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ess123 and Mrs Sheila,

I have just spotted that tabitha is trying to recover her password so she can reply to your reply.

Tabitha, if you are reading this the password you are requesting is bouncing back to us, I guess because you have changed email address. The only address we have for you is your old one  :'(

We can help you if you click on the "Contact Support" button on the front page or via Facebook.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk