Author Topic: Who's the dad of George CARTER 1831 Paulton  (Read 14722 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Who's the dad of George CARTER 1831 Paulton
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Ok I've just had a trip to the census board to see if I can confirm the Nimrod connection and it looks good
Free Reg has a marriage 20 Dec 1858 for Nimrod and Elizabeth Deavey his father was decesed James His age was 30 a better match than the 71 and 181 census for Nimrod bapt in 1826
and two Amos witnesses and of course there are Amos connections along the way. So surely Betty Hew was a sister like you say there is a gap in James and Mary's family between their two Georges
1817 and 1820 where Betty will fit nicely. Nimrod is in Beaufort in 1851 with a family named Sage and I have already got a Sage Carter marriage in my data base
I think we can safely add Betty to the James and Mary family. So her son was Nephew of George Hughes and it was he who married the widow Ann Bull

phew I think we have solved it well done many thanks that filled a rainy morning nicely ;D and ties another Carter loose end up.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline tbennett54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 15:59 GMT (UK) »
It's very gratifying isn't it, even if we solve just one of these along the way.  I am now trying out a spreadsheet approach to all the George Carters born 1837-42 in Paulton.  I won't go into any more detail now but they nearly all ARE accounted for.  Will supply info later.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 17:34 GMT (UK) »
whoopy I hope they are will look forward to the list
So from my initial list
1,Baptised 1568   05 May 1839   George   John   Ann   CARTER   Paulton   Collier
2. 1576   21 Jul 1839   George   base born of  Ann   CARTER   Paulton
3.base born nother Fanny age 2 on the 1841 census and 11 in 1851 married Elizabeth JORDAN
4.1590   25 Dec 1839   George   Joseph   Betsy   CARTER   Paulton   Collier
5. 18      26 Jul 1840   George   -   George   Frances   CARTER      Paulton   Collier
in Dudley in 1851
6 The George in question
7.son of John and Elizabeth nee Barton died 1861
8.120   22 May 1842   George   John   Priscilla   CARTER      Paulton   Collier married Mary Ann GREGORY
9.121   22 May 1842   George   William   Betty   CARTER      Paulton   Collier
died in infancy

4=6 and married Ann BULL but then what is going on in 1861
Is the lodger with Joseph and Mary their son! or yet another George and what of the one with George Hughes that surely is Joseph and Mary's son and he married Ann Bull
So we now only  have 8 and need to find what happened to Nos 1&2

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline tbennett54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Okay, in 1861 is Joseph and Betsy Carter have a lodger named George Carter, aged 22, b Paulton, who I think is NOT their son of almost similar age.  That son must almost certainly be the one in Llangattock with his uncle George Hughes/Hew.  Joseph Carter (b 1813) has a sister Ann Carter (b 1809) who has an illegitimate son named George, baptised 21 July 1839.  Ann is living in Paulton in 1861 with her younger son William, and George is not there, but only a few doors away are Ann's brother Joseph with his wife Betsy, and lodger George. I think George is Ann's son.

Moreover, very nearby is living William Jordan and his family. William is the father of Elizabeth Jordan - who isn't actually present in 1861.  However, the closeness of these family groupings suggest to me that William Jordan is about to become the father-in-law of lodger George, who is due to marry Elizabeth Jordan on 4 Sep 1862.  The marriage register entry gives no father's name for George, unsurprisingly.  Yes, he could be George the base-born son of Fanny Carter who is aged 2 in 1841 and 11 in 1851, but I'd say the evidence points to George son of Ann instead.

George son of Fanny is one of two Georges in this large contemporary group that I can't trace after 1851.  The other is the son of John Carter and Amy Bull, born abt 1837/8.  The rest are done and dusted I believe!

Let's try an upload. I've converted the spreadsheet into a pdf file which I hope will work.

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 12 March 15 07:09 GMT (UK) »
That worked well strangely my husband did a similar chart to sort the Carters out years back his chart "George CARTERS from Paulton born 1837 – 1844   1871 – 1901 Census" pm me your e mail and I'll send his over to you I'm checking it against yours right now.

mcmullin.me.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 12 March 15 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the pm We are now putting notes on our chart to show the differences before sending it We have hit a big problem
Ann mother of base born George we don't think was the sister of Joseph who married Betty Hew and with the lodger George in 1851
Why
We have Joseph son of Stephen and Mary he had a sister Ann b 1809 who you think was young George's mum
But we have Ann living with a Mary in 1841
fo35 p21
Paulton   Mary CARTER   70   Ind   y
fo36 p22   Ann      25
   George      2

But Stephen's Mary we have buried 359   26 Dec 1826   Mary   CARTER   39   Paulton
This Mary with Ann was born Abt 1771 there is one bapt that year to James and Mary Carter. She is 13 years older than Stephen so I don't think she is Mary James who married Stephen so Ann isn't Joseph's sister.
So we think Ann was the base born daughter of Mary Carter bapt Paulton Mary    The daughter of James Carter and Mary his wife was baptised June 8th 1771 and dying in 1845

now we have totally failed to sort out the James and Mary children I'll send you the chart we have for the various James and Marys
H.

mcmullin.me.uk