Author Topic: Redmond Condon and Mary Luddy from Mitchellstown to NZ  (Read 7460 times)

Offline alfresco01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Redmond Condon and Mary Luddy from Mitchellstown to NZ
« on: Monday 31 August 09 13:13 BST (UK) »
Redmond Condon and Mary Luddy - Corracunna, Mitchellstown to Oamaru New Zealand
I need some advice on where to go next.   Redmond and Mary emigrated to NZ in 1874.  At the time they had 4 sons, Redmond c1857; Joseph c1859; Michael c1861; John dob 1864; William 1872.    Another son, Richard dob 1874 was born in NZ.   I have found 2 other children who died prior to their leaving Ireland, James dob 1866, and Johanna dob 1870.  There may have been another child but yet to confirm.  I have details of Mary Luddy's date of birth although on the birth cert her father is named Jeremiah while on the death cert. the father's name is John. (mary's year of birth 1838).  We were recently in Ireland and visited Kilbehenny Graveyard where we found a Redmond Condon died 1847 - how would I find if he is related?  Where is the best place to look to try and confirm the dates of the 3 oldest children?  And how do people find siblings for the likes of Redmond senior?  I spent some time at the General Register in Dublin but didn'thave much time at the National Library.  Any help would be much appreciated -thanks

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Redmond Condon and Mary Luddy from Mitchellstown to NZ
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
Found these:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Griffiths 1852 had John, Michael & Mary Condon living on seperate farms

Brendan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 09 17:58 BST (UK) »
LDS site lists 5 children (5 in IGI and 4 in Pedigree Resource File** with submitter's details) www.familysearch.org:
John born 1864**
James born 1866**
Ellen born 1868 (PRF lists date as 1865**)
Johanna born 1870**
William born 1872
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
I have Ellen's exact birthdate in 1868, it is on the British Vital Index 1864-1875, the LDS do not sell the set of 16 CD's anymore, they are more or less a collector's item, you can carry out parent searches, that is where I got the info.  as I said they only cover 1864-1875.

Brendan

Offline alfresco01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 September 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
thanks very much for your responses - the information about Ellen has been very helpful - I had been searching in 1865.  Brendan, could you tell me a little more about how you found the exact birth date - is it something I could have found on the internet?  And also thanks very much for the Griffith information - I haven't had much luck with figuring that out as yet but will certainly make it a priority.    Really excited again - cheers,   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 September 09 12:16 BST (UK) »
The IGI lists the 1868 birth date for Ellen- see www.familysearch.org for details.
Index to civil registrations is now online so you can search for the entry to get the details needed to order the birth certificate:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347
James and John's births in IGI are listed in Mitchelstown registration district.
Checking for 'Ellen Condon' in Mitchelstown registration district there are several overlapping ones so it might be difficult to sort them out merely by looking at te index.

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 September 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

As Aghadowey has pointed out the records are available at Familysearch, The CD's are more detailed and often give townlands, which helps to pin down the exact person you are looking for.

Brendan   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 September 09 12:43 BST (UK) »
The number 874 is the page number so if you go to civil registration index you should find a matching entry.

Offline Brendan Joseph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 September 09 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

You have just taught me something, I never knew what the number on the record like 345 Cork meant, I have been asked a good few times what they reffered to. Well done

Brendan