Author Topic: Completed If anyone needs help in Tipperary  (Read 33586 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Completed If anyone needs help in Tipperary
« on: Wednesday 15 July 09 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi..if anyone needs any help in searching for their ancestors in Tipperary..I may be able to help someone. I can do searches in the census office here providing I have details of who the family were and what townsland they lived in.

Regards,

Ann Marie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: If anyone needs help in Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi...I am researching my own family in Tipperary, Ireland but am stuck in a rut at the moment with them so I thought I would try and help some kind folk on this out if they have ancestors in Tipperary.  :D. The names I am researching myself are; Ryan, Sullivan, Kevin, Dwyer, Woodlock and a few others.

So if anyone needs some help..don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Ann Marie
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
I have in my family tree, the name of Dwyer in the parish of Ballyporeen, co.Tipperary - they are connected to my Bailey line via a marriage between Kate Fitzgerald , whose first cousin was Hannie Dwyer who married  a Cunningham.
All in the townlands of Skeheenarinka/Coolagarranroe - so if any bells ring with you, please get in touch!
Many thanks,
Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 14:03 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't have any rellies living or dead down in Ballyporeen. All my Dwyers are buried in Thurles or nearby graveyards. Sorry I could be anymore help to you

Offline magsbutler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 12:56 BST (UK) »
Ok, thank you for replying though.
Mags
Bailey - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny;co. Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
King - co.Limerick, Kilbeheny parish
Moher - co.Tipperary, Ballyporeen parish
Farrell - co.Tipperary, Coolagarranroe, Skeheenaranky
Fitzgerald - ditto

Offline Barbara348

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • (Virture in difficulty)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann Marie,

Just saw your post and wondered if you might be able to help me.

My Gt Grandmother, Hannah Carroll shows on the 1891 UK Census as being born in Tipperary.

Her marriage cert shows her marrying my Gt Grandfather, John Jones (a Soldier), 8 Sept 1885 in Fermoy, Co Cork.

It also names her father as Martin Carroll, Farmer.
(Possibly living around Templemore because that's were my Gt  Grandad was staying, prior to moving to Fermoy in 1885).

So I've been trying for ages to trace the birth of a Hannah Carroll, father Martin Carroll, and born between 1864 & 1869.

I've paid a lot for research but no luck, maybe you can help me?

I'd appreciate any help please.

Barbara.
Howell. Marshall. Frew.Finn.Williams.Jones.Carroll.
Hinksman. Zeitline.Roberts.Shepherd.

Offline kidja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 August 09 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann Marie,

I have an Ellen Shannon/Shanahan married to James Gleeson. As far as i can tell most if not all of their children were born in Co Kildare. However on the 1901 census Ellen is showing as born in Co Tipperary. I have no other information and no record of their marriage.
It is a long shot but if you can maybe find anything about Ellen and James i would be really grateful.

Kidja
bellew, neary co. meath, gleeson, shannon,shanahan, smythe co kildare, murphy, clarke, higgins, twyford, farrell co. wicklow

Offline Joof

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 August 09 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann Marie,

I've just started researching my O'Farrell name and I have only a few details from an elderly relative. A Thomas Joseph O'Farrell was born around 1892 near Roscrea his father's name was Edward and mother was Mary Ellen. There was a large number of children a lot of whom went to America. I understand the family owned a farm called 'Beha Glos' near Roscrea and the grandparents (Michael & Mary) are buried in a churchyard in a tiny village sounding like ' Cooraganeen'. If you can help at all or at least point this novice (particulalry on the Irish side !) in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Kind Regards,

Jo

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 03:29 BST (UK) »
{Post modified after the 1911 census came online}

Hi Ann Marie,

Any chance of a check in the 1901 Cahir, Co.Tipp census results? You may be able to save me waiting till the 1901 census records come online - I'm in SE Asia!.

I have a Browne (or Brown) family from Caher (Cahir) Co. Tipperary. From passenger lists and research on the American side, we're fairly certain that we have four siblings {Amended: the fifth, Michael (born c1870) was already in America in 1901, so he won't be in the census} who all emigrated to America between 1901 and 1904, and were all living in Caher before emigrating. They are:

Norah (born c1877)
Catherine (born c1881)
Patrick (born c1884)
Richard (born c1887)

The 1911 census has only one Brown[e] family in the Caher DED (Townland/Street = Church St), the mother being a widow.
Could you check if the  family were in the same townland/street in 1901?
Are there possible matches for any of the people above?
Was the father alive and present? (We're hoping for the name John, but I think it's unlikely)

Failing that (and in the unlikely event that you've got nothing better to do!  ;) ) are there any other Brown[e] families in the Caher DED with any of the above people, or a father born before 1860 by the name of John?

Fingers crossed!
Pete

Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)