Author Topic: Watermen of the River Severn (?)  (Read 2640 times)

Offline jem1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watermen of the River Severn (?)
« on: Tuesday 01 September 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Does anyone know if the Watermen of the River Severn have records showing their apprenticeships and bindings or license records as I believe is the case with Watermen of the River Thames? My ancestor David Reynolds Born Abt. 1815 is listed on the 1841 census for Madeley, Shropshire. His occupation is given as a Waterman. I wonder if it would be possible to trace him through any such records? Unfortunately I don't know where he was born because the 1841 census record only says he was not born in Shropshire although his wife and sons were.  I am unable to find him or his family, wife Susannah and sons Bethwell and William on the 1851 census despite much searching and using different spelling variations. Susannah does turns up a again in the marriage records in 1855 marrying a James Medwell and again in 1861 census living with new husband James and son Bethwell in the Madeley area. This leads me to assume that David Reynolds may have died between 1841 and 1855 although I can't find a death record for David Reynolds in the Madeley area.
Any help would be greatly appreciated in helping me trace David Reynolds before 1841 and if possible where he might have been born.
Thank you. Jem1

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Watermen of the River Severn (?)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 09 01:35 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted the Ironbridge Gorge Museum? There is an extensive archive and I'm sure if the documents you seek exist, that is where you will find them- or they'll know where you can!
Two occupations on the river in that area, Ferrymen (the bridge was a toll bridge until 1950) and Severn Trowmen.
The museum have the diary of a severn trowman, whose job was shifting goods up and down the severn,  I remember it being featured on an episode of The House Detectives. The last Severn Trow is at Blists Hill.
Incidently, Madeley covered much of the area now concidered Ironbridge in those days.
Hope that's some help.
Wiltshire,Somerset : Cainey, Summers, Payne, Wallis,
Wales: Pugh, Watkins, Williams, Edwards,
London: Binden, Sullivan, Tickner, Tilt
Ireland: Tracey, Sullivan, Dalton

Offline jem1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 09 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Cad,
Thank you very much for your info. I have been on the Ironbridge Gorge museum Web site. It is very interesting and I have sent them an email asking for any information they might have on Watermen records.  I hope to go to Ironbridge in the near future so I will definitely pay a visit to the museums. I have also found a birth record that I think could be David Reynolds son William so I will send for it and hopefully it might give me more information on where David came from. Although the 1841 census says he is not from Shropshire he could easily be from Worcestershire or any of the other counties the Severn passes through. I suppose that he and Susannah may have met as he went up and down the river passing through Ironbridge and then he may have settled there with her. With a little more hunting I may get lucky!
Thanks again, :)
Jem1

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 09 00:17 BST (UK) »
No problem, I'd be interested to know how you get on.
Good luck.
Wiltshire,Somerset : Cainey, Summers, Payne, Wallis,
Wales: Pugh, Watkins, Williams, Edwards,
London: Binden, Sullivan, Tickner, Tilt
Ireland: Tracey, Sullivan, Dalton