Author Topic: Gladys Ivy Willis 1925-2007 Adoption  (Read 2062 times)

Offline mamakaz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gladys Ivy Willis 1925-2007 Adoption
« on: Tuesday 01 September 09 15:15 BST (UK) »
Gladys Ivy Willis 1925-2007

Gladys was my great aunt, i was her carer for 12yrs, she would often tell me a story about the baby she had to have adopted.

Gladys never spoke of the father of her child, all she would say was that he was a married man.
Glad was sent to a Salvation Army Home for Unwed Mothers, she spent 6 weeks nursing her child, a baby girl, born in 1956.
According to Glad, just befor  6 weeks, her baby was adopted, she was allowed to stand behind a curtain and see the couple take her baby.

Glad then married Walter J Baker in 1956, he was alot older than her, and she told me that Walter had refused to take the baby on as his own.
Gladys never had anymore children, she spent the next 25yrs looking after her aged husband.

Glad worked as a barmaid for years, she had a great personality, very bubbly and kind, she would have been a wonderful mum,

So, why am i writing this?
just incase baby Willis may one day google her birth mothers name and find this message, i have some photos and stories to share, and to say that Gladys never forgot you or stopped loving you,

kaz, x

Aitken, Willis, Cordell, Ager, Plant, Scales,

Offline vivwill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Gladys Ivy Willis 1925-2007 Adoption
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 09 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, 
I just had to drop in and say what a lovely, but sad, story. You are very thoughtful to have posted the message and I hope one day it will be read by the person it is intended for.

I too am researching the Willis family - but todate have not come across your Gladys.   I have posted a message under "Willis family of Lancashire".

Best wishes
Viv
Willis - Lanc & Ire.;  Dunning - Lanc.; Gatward - Herts; Cossar; Fenton Perth Sco;

Offline lolponty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 09 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Don't know much about these forums etc. but I may be able to give some guidance on looking for her daughter. I noticed Gladys married in the first quarter of 1956 so the baby must have been born very early 1956 or late 1955. Do you have a date for her birth or the baby's name? Where was she born? Don't know if you are allowed to put your own email address but if so I will give you mine so that you can contact me directly. Would caution that these things need handling very carefully and recommend the use of an intermediary. Lorraine

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 November 09 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lorraine

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

You're right to be cautious - we don't allow posts about living people or email addresses.  However, once you have made two posts you will be able to use the Personal Message system and contact Kaz directly.

Good luck - it's a poignant story!

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Dickiesam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 November 09 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kaz,
If you do another post I will be able to send you a PM that may assist in your search.
Dickiesam
Foulkes from Handley/Gt Boughton, Chester; Emery, Sarsfield & Fry from Liverpool; Sarsfield from Counties Limerick & Clare, Ireland.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 09 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dickiesam

Kaz already has enough posts to enable her to use the PM system, as do you.  It's Lorraine who needs to post again.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Dickiesam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 November 09 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Arranroots. I omitted to look at the small print under her name.
Dickiesam
Foulkes from Handley/Gt Boughton, Chester; Emery, Sarsfield & Fry from Liverpool; Sarsfield from Counties Limerick & Clare, Ireland.

Offline lolponty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 November 09 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Completely new to forums so don't know if this will suffice, however I have posted areply to another topic since. Does this count? Lorraine
PS how do you then contact through PM I presume this means personal message?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 November 09 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Lorraine

If you look at the person's name on the left of their posting you will see a little green scroll-shaped thing which (if you hover over it with your cursor) will say whether or not they are online.

If you click on this it will give you a proforma that you can type a message in to.  This message will only be seen be that person, so it is quite secure.

We have a list of Adoption topics which I should have posted here earlier - I will go and find it directly!