Author Topic: Custom House Burning - Part 1 / John Wilson  (Read 93023 times)

Offline margnip2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Custom House Burning / John Wilson
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 September 09 17:59 BST (UK) »
I will have to ask the rest of the family, most of Philip Flynns' children are still alive.  But I don't see any problem with that.

As for finding anymore information about him I think it will be very hard if not impossible.  But would be most grateful if you pass on anything that you may find.

Other information I have on my granddad is that he joined the Volunteers at the reorganization after 1916, E Co II Batt.  He was later attached to the Intelligence belonging to that company.  He also took part in the attack on the L N W Rly Hotel(?).  He was imprisoned in Kilmainham Goal until December 1921.
His home address when he joined was Clarks' Cottage, Lower Summer Hill Parade, Dublin.

Thanks for your help.
Dublin-Byrne, Doyle,
Kildare - Mooney, Fox
County Cavan-Flynn, Donohoe
London-Pingram, Cowell
Oxfordshire-French, Hunt
Tamworth Staffordshire-Chiles, Marson

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 September 09 07:54 BST (UK) »
Special Branch Records of IRA Suapects

I came across this CD for sale by TCD

Sinn Fein and Republican Suspects 1899-1921: Dublin Castle Special Branch Files CO 904 (193-216)

Eneclann presents a first time publication of the Dublin Castle intelligence files on individual Sinn Fein and Republican suspects between 1899 and 1921. Also known as the ‘personalities files’, these RIC Special Branch files contain secret intelligence on over 440 individual suspects who were under surveillance, including Eamon de Valera, Michael Collins, James Connolly, Roger Casement as well as many ordinary individuals.

Yours for 50€ from http://www.eneclann.ie/acatalog/ENEC015.html
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline seanod

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 September 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Margnip and also thanks for the information on the Special Branch files. I will probably be going to the Archives in Dublin some time soon so I'll check and see whether I can get them there free of charge first. Keep the information, suggestions and questions coming!

Offline seanod

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 September 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
Tommobecket, You were asking if there was a list of all those who took part in the conflict anywhere. There isn't, but I was in Dublin on Saturday and stopped in at Connolly Books in Temple Bar. Well worth a visit (Connolly Books, not Temple Bar in general). Anyway, I bought a book, details here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dublin-Rebellion-Directory-Joseph-Connell/dp/1843511371

It certainly isn't exhaustive but there are lists of all those in the different Brigades at the time of the Easter Rising, many of whom were still in these brigades later on during the War of Independence. Worth investing in if you are interested in that period.

Offline seanod

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 September 09 20:04 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention there that John Wilson is mentioned in that book in passing, as one of those in the Squad or associated with it. Couldn't find a Dennis Byrne or a Phillip Flynn in it. Sorry!   

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 September 09 21:07 BST (UK) »
Corisande - this sounds a great source nonetheless, thankyou - I've given up hope of finding Denis Byrne in any records, either he was so underground as to be invisible, his involvement was marginal, or he was just an ordinary bloke who like many was periphal but intrinsic, so despite  having a war of independence medal with Comrac bar there doesn't seem to be any documentary evidence of him. Have asked Dept of Defence and prepared to wait two years for a response. Very frustrating.

Will try and source the Corisande suggestion but I'm sure this too will be a forlorn search.

I found an obituary for him in Irish Times as suggested but need to subscribe, so will have to wait for that.

These are tremendous sources and first class top tips. Is this detail collated anywhere as I am constantly amazed by the variety of sources available and which are continually new to me (although I'm new to this and constantly amazed anyway by the knowledge and insight people have!)

The mystery we face is that Denis only records his active service in his pension application up to February 1918. Yet we have a photo of him in what appears to be a free state uniform, and Mary his wife in what may be a Cumman na mBan unifrorm, but again, having asked in a variety of places I can get no confirmation, so any help would be most gratefully received. We have a few stories passed down of him avoiding the black and tans and having a gun which suggests activity post 1918 but he defiantly does not record any service post 1918.

Strangely, after 1916 he records his commanding officer as being James Connolly (Denis was in the ICA), which alludes to a powerful allegiance to his old leader.

fascinating posts and great reading - good luck in your search seanod and gary, its hard work isn't it ...

Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline seanod

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 September 09 22:54 BST (UK) »
Tommobecket, You say you found an obituary for him in the Irish Times. Do you have a date for it? I may be able to access it for you but it isn't a very user friendly database, so I would need to have a rough date for it.

Offline seanod

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 September 09 23:04 BST (UK) »
According to the Dublin in Rebellion book, there were only three Byrnes in the Easter Rising who were members of the ICA. John, Patrick and Louis. Louis was killed and the other two were imprisoned in Frongoch. Is it possible he was recorded under a different name? A lot of people in Ireland are known by their middle name and never use their official name at all.

Offline margnip2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 September 09 01:57 BST (UK) »
seanod, there does seem to be a reference to a Philip Flynn in the Irish Times.  The date is Thursday 27th January 1949 page 6.  The heading is 'Meal Caused Man's Death'.  This may not be my granddad, but he died 26th December 1948 from food poisoning.  I know it may not be relevent to this thread, but if you could look it up I would be grateful, they want over 60 euros to have a copy of the page sent out!
Dublin-Byrne, Doyle,
Kildare - Mooney, Fox
County Cavan-Flynn, Donohoe
London-Pingram, Cowell
Oxfordshire-French, Hunt
Tamworth Staffordshire-Chiles, Marson