Author Topic: Chaloner family  (Read 24038 times)

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chaloner family
« Reply #45 on: Monday 07 September 20 10:31 BST (UK) »
Although I do not have evidence I tend to think that TIMOTHY CHALLENOR 1667-??? and ANNE WILME 1677-1731 are the parents of JOHN CHALENOR 1695-1766 who married MARGARET WILLIAMS 1695-1742.    This would appear to complete the chain from Jacob Chalenor 1586-1631  to a William Chaloner to John Chalenor 1640-1695 and thus to Timothy but again I am short of evidence

there is some evidence further up this thread that does point to Timothy and Anne being the parents of John, Anne's will named him as her son.

I'm not sure how that completes a chain from Jacob to Timothy as I have not seen any record of a birth or baptism for our Timothy that I would call definite
Boliver - Selattyn/St. Martins
Hinton - Whitchurch/Ightfield
Parry - Hanmer/Bronington
Clarke - Barnsley/Lancaster
Clegg - Rochdale/Lancaster
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt
Benbow - Shropshire

Offline chaloner edie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 23 August 21 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi ex cookie. My family line is a little different but I met a distant relative here Brian Challoner and he gave me the marriage of Charles Chaloner b 1745 of Holt. he married Mary Mathews of Farndon Aug 17,1771. They had 5 Children:
Charles b. Feb.4,1772 Holt
George b. Aug.15,1774
William b. Dec.12,1776
Thomas b.Dec.25,1780
All children born in Holt
Mary Mathews died: Feb.8,1807 in holt

Offline Lairdglyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 28 November 21 11:00 GMT (UK) »
With regard to the correspondence by Linda25g and Dick C about Timothy Chalenor it would appear that Linda is realated to John Chaloner 1695 to 1766 and I am related to John's brother Charles Chaloner born 1701 ( 6th Great Grandfather.)
Dick suggests that John would have been 14 when he married Margaret Williams in 1717 but I think he would have been 22.
Somewhere I saw a reference to Timothy  being born in 1666 but I go with the date of 1677 being the same date his wife Anne Wilme was born.
I surmise that Timothy's father was John Chaloner 1640 to 1695 married to Deboragh Brettaugh, John's father being another William Challinor
Do yu guys have any comments on this?

Offline linda25g

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 16 December 21 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Remember I said that a connection to Debroah Brettargh would have been a major development. The entry we all found for the marriage of Deboarah brettargh to John states that John's surname was Chandler, not Challinor. (Chaleneur). However, Mr Pinkwhistle and the rest of us maybe thought that could easily have been a mistake in translation. Often happens.

However, I've just found an entry that refers to the will of a Deborah Chandler in 1686:

"The will of his widow, Deborah Chandler, was dated and proved in 1686; she desired to be buried in the chancel of Childwall church next to the body of her late husband, James Brettargh. There are mentioned her daughters Hitchmough, Hanna, Phoebe Potter; her grandchildren, Thomas Brettargh, Edward and Phoebe Richardson, and Deborah, wife of Mordecai Cocker of Cockshead."

It would appear that James Brettargh was her first husband and that after his death, Deborah married John Chandler and became Deborah Chandler. You will note that a number of names are mentioned in the will and there is no mention of a Timothy Chandler. I cannot imagine that had he been her son and alive that she would have omitted him from her will. Looks like the kiss of death for Mr Pinkwhistle's proposed tree. Shame!!

Boliver - Selattyn/St. Martins
Hinton - Whitchurch/Ightfield
Parry - Hanmer/Bronington
Clarke - Barnsley/Lancaster
Clegg - Rochdale/Lancaster
Owens - Llansannan
Lee - Malpas
Chaloner - Holt/Chester
Airey - Westmorland
Sadler - Shropshire
Gee - Holt
Benbow - Shropshire