Author Topic: Identify Military Uniform and date please  (Read 14891 times)

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identify Military Uniform and date please
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 12 September 09 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Simon,

I managed one of my rare, brief visits to Lewisham Library today.

I couldn't find anything to link Benjamin with any specific Volunteer unit I'm afraid. The most likely one, provided it was in Lewisham, is Volunteer Training Corps, South London Regiment, 8th (Lewisham) Battalion, "D" (Forest Hill and Lewisham) Company. HQ at 241 Stanstead Road, Lewisham. There were several others though. I looked at the 1917 Kentish Mercury which has a section devoted to volunteer organisations. Unfortunately it is Battalion Orders, so very few individuals are named; normally just the CO, Adj. and duty officers for the week.

I found a picture of the Lewisham Defence League badge and it is a circular enamelled (blue, red and gilt) badge, nothing like a military cap badge.

I also had a look at the directories and there is a Benjamin Cooke at 21 Brookbank Road, Lewisham in 1910 ( the earliest on the shelves). He is still there in 1917. There is no directory for 1918, but by 1919 he has gone.

21 Brookbank Rd is next door to the East London Industrial School for Boys (No.19), which was closed in 1909, although it is still shown as such on later maps. The Industrial School building was destroyed in WW2, while being used as a warehouse. It is at the railway end of Brookbank Rd (furthest from Hilly Fields) on the south side.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sgauntlett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 19 September 09 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil,
Thanks for looking in Lewisham. They did live around there so it's likely to be him but shame no mention in the volunteers.

Regarding Ernest Kemp, I have just received the death certificate of the Ernest in 1916 in Epsom but I don't think it is my Ernest. This one lives in a workhouse and I know the family around Ernest were quite well off, unless he was disowned. The photo I have of him in 1915+ is with the family group so I'm fairly sure it's not him.

The search for Ernest's death continues. I guess I need to try and find the RFA records from that time and see if I can find any more information.

Simon
Gauntlett
Cooke
Kemp
Sprigings

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 19 September 09 18:20 BST (UK) »
That is a shame but at least you can discount him.  Perhaps he emigrated?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sgauntlett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 19 September 09 18:36 BST (UK) »
Possible but the family rumour was death in the war so that is what I'm going on at the moment.

Even if I can't find his service record, I may find something in the regiment records don't you think?
Gauntlett
Cooke
Kemp
Sprigings

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 19 September 09 19:30 BST (UK) »
If you are very very lucky but always worth a try

Milly ;D
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk