Author Topic: *COMPLETED*David Hume & Margaret Drever  (Read 4960 times)

Offline D_

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED*David Hume & Margaret Drever
« on: Wednesday 02 September 09 13:18 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for info for Janet or Jane Smith.  Her name was found on the death certificate for David Hume (1864, South Leith) who was married to Margaret Drever (1839 Westray).  On the certificate, Janet or Jane Smith (writing difficult to decipher whether Jane or Janet) is the informant and stated as step-daughter to David Hume.  Now, the research that I've done so far has not shown that Margaret Drever was married before.  On Margaret's death certificate (1887, South Leith) it only states that she was married to David Hume.  Can anyone shed any light on the step daughter.  It's a difficult one as it's unclear whether Smith is the maiden name or married name.  I've found a few census records that show a Jane Smith living in Leith and being born in Westray, could this be her?  Either way cannot find any records for a Jane or Janet Smith being born in Westray.  If anyone out there is able to shed some light on this mystery then please get in touch.  It would be great to find out her origins.   Thanks, David.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: David Hume & Margaret Drever
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 13:27 BST (UK) »
Have you considered that Smith may be her married name and she was possibly Margaret's illegitimate daughter so would have been Drever

Have you checked for a Drever/Smith marriage

Does she appear on any census with David & Margaret

Her name was found on the death certificate for David Hume (1864, South Leith) who was married to Margaret Drever (1839 Westray).

There appears to be a 25yr age difference if the years quoted are birthyears
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 September 09 15:49 BST (UK) »
do either of the death certs give parents names and david or margarets ages?
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 September 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
found your lady on ancestry but i,m not sure if it,s any clearer who she is! jane smith born 1838 westray,  orkney died 1912 leith, married thomas stark 1858, married james lees 1872. other info has her parents as adam or alexander smith born 1810 orkney died 1880 he is a porter in leith, and mother peggy drever 1814 - 1887. also has margarets parents as george drever b 1785 and ann davidson, looks like jane may have been born before margaret married and taken her fathers name?

akc
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
on 1851 westray census there is a jane smith aged 15 at skeness farm servant and living next door at maybo are marjorie davidson b 1783 ann davidson b 1803, john davidson head b 1804, william davidson brother b 1814.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 09 20:45 BST (UK) »
on scotlands people: jane lees widow of thomas stark 1st & james lees 76yrs, father adam smith mother margaret hume previously smith maiden surname drever at leith walk, leith on nov 24 1912

Offline D_

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 September 09 12:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all your replies regarding my query.  I've now got the information I was looking for.  I'm so grateful for the time and effort you've put into finding the information for me.  You've restored my faith in humanity!!

Kind regards,

David.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk