Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Jane or Janet Smith, South Leith  (Read 1584 times)

Offline D_

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Jane or Janet Smith, South Leith
« on: Wednesday 02 September 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for info on Jane/Janet Smith. I've been looking at the death certificate of my great grandmother's grand father David Hume who died in 1864, South Leith and on it Jane/Janet Smith (christian name difficult to decipher - don't know if the last E is followed by a T) is the informant of the death and is stated as the step-daughter of David Hume.  David Hume was married to Margaret Drever (married in 1839, Westray, Orkney).   My research has not shown any evidence of Margaret Drever being married before.  My queries are was Margaret Drever married before; did she have a daughter Jane/Janet, if so where are the records.  I've found a few census records for a Jane Smith living in Leith and being born in Westray, Orkney, but cannot find birth/death records to confirm Jane/Janet as being the daughter of Margaret Drever.  In addition, don't know if Smith is the birth name or married name.  If any one is able to shed some light on the mystery of Jane/Janet Smith, please get in touch.  Many thanks, David.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk