Author Topic: Hesson/McMillan marriage in Osnabruck  (Read 1295 times)

Offline canuckscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hesson/McMillan marriage in Osnabruck
« on: Wednesday 02 September 09 16:31 BST (UK) »
Trying to locate any marriage info on my gg-grandmother/father. Mary Ann Hesson, born ~1837 in Ireland, daughter of James & Elizabeth Hesson, married Hugh McMillan, born ~1820 in Scotland, all of Osnabruck, Ontario. Family lore has date of 1857 but this isn't confirmed by any documentation. She was Presbyterian and he was Methodist. Her family immigrated around 1842.

I've found various spellings of their names in some census such as Hessin, McMullen, McMillen.
Caithness: Jack, Manson, Sinclair, Mowat
Inverness, Western Isles: MacDonald, MacAulay, Boyd
Lochaber: MacMillan
Sutherland: Nicholson

Offline IndisVanyar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great grandfather James Nevitt 1850-1921
    • View Profile
Re: Hesson/McMillan marriage in Osnabruck
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 19:44 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to find a marriage entry as yet,  but they are here on the 1881 census
Province of Ontario, Stormont, Osnabruck
Macmillan
Hugh, 40, Scotland, Methodist, Scotch(sic), Farmer, Married
Mary Ann, 45, Ireland, Met, Irish, Weaver (I think)
Margaret E, 21, US, Meth, Scotch, Servant
Agnes, 19, US, do, do, Servant
James, 17, O (presumably Ontario)
Hugh, 16
William, 14
John, 11
Joseph, 8
Catherine J, 6
Arthur, 4
Edith, 2

Nell
Kitching Elsbury Lawrence Last Ellington Govier Pawsey Rice Nevitt Napier Seymour

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 20:40 BST (UK) »
1861 census for Osnabruk has James and Elizabeth living with William, Margaret, Margery and James but no Mary Ann.  In 1871 Mary Ann(33) with Hugh(51) and 7 children with the oldest Mary J(12).  Mary Ann is next door to her parents and sister Margery.  Above the parents census entry is one for William Hesson and wife and child.  By 1891 the number of children has grown by 4.

Haven't been able to find a marriage for this couple either nor their entries in the 1861 census or Hugh in the 1851 to see if he had been married before.

Debbie

Offline canuckscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
I've been able to find references in various census for the Hessons and for Hugh & Mary Ann after they were married. Their first three children were born in Madrid, New York so I know they lived there from 1858 to 1862. They then moved back to Ontario. Their next was born in Stormont. I'm sure they were married before they moved from Ontario and the land registry shows Hugh owning property in Stormont while they were in New York. I'm assuming then that the marriage was shortly before 1858 as Mary Ann would be about 19 or 20 years old.

Hugh has always been an enigma. There is no birth record, immigration record or marriage record than I can find. It's like he's one of the first in the witness protection program :)
Caithness: Jack, Manson, Sinclair, Mowat
Inverness, Western Isles: MacDonald, MacAulay, Boyd
Lochaber: MacMillan
Sutherland: Nicholson

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 September 09 18:06 BST (UK) »
There is a photo of Mary Ann's headstone on cornwallroots.com.  Buried Sandtown cemetery
Died Jan 18, 1912.

Have you tried finding her obituary in the Cornwall newspaper?  Sometimes deaths were noted in a single line with just the basic facts and others included a lot of information such as when the person was married.

Debbie