Author Topic: N0RTHAMPTON - Home for illegitimate babies  (Read 43610 times)

Offline Poppins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: N0RTHAMPTON - Home for illegitimate babies
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 29 January 23 14:07 GMT (UK) »
As of my previous  post the lady may have  gone under  the  name  of Hilary or Clare or both ?.Thank  you.

Offline Wendy50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 14 September 23 20:30 BST (UK) »
I was in Elmleigh during 1980/81. What went on there was children for sale arranged by L G. I spent a lot of "time" (unknown to anyone) in her office & spent a lot of time reading the files & paperwork.
The DHSS paid £55.00 weekly. The House received £50.00, we got £5.00 per week to buy shampoo, soap, anything we needed. It did not go far. A lot of young women were forced, talked into giving up their babies. I kept mine which infuriated LG She kept on at me all of the time but I never gave in. She made huge profits by what she did which I did & do not agree with.
S from Rhyl in Wales, if you are on here, I hope you are well. Your son was so beautiful & I know it broke your heart to give him up.
I stayed after my little girl was born for 5/6 months when I gratefully left there.
Hello to anyone that was there at that time. Love to you all ❤️

Offline Lululady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 23 September 23 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy
That is horrific. I had no idea this was going on. I was in Elmleigh from late jan to april 1980. My parents were horrified that i was pregnant, i knew they would make me have an abortion so i hid my pregnancy until i was 7 months knowing that i could then let my child go for adoption and have the opportunity of life. At the time it was the most responsible thing to do for my child. I remember the office, i remember getting my small allowance. I was put in the attic room when i arrived and moved to a lower room later, my previous post details more. My parents did not give me the option to keep my child. After i had her in northampton general, i cannot remember the timescale but i went to say goodbye in the nursery room before i left and she had already been moved elsewhere. I returned home to my parents house and carries on with my life. My experience has been pushed into a box to allow me to carry on with my life. I have a 28 year old son, he it unaware of my experience. My child has not made any advance in finding me, i only live about 4 miles from my parents home in the day. Do you think all this selling needs looking into, like the magdalen laundry or should it just be left quiet. It would probably disturb many adoptees lives if this was all brought up, i have not attempted contact with my daughter as i felt it may upset her family life.
Thank you for posting Wendy x

Offline Poppins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy.  Having  read the  above  post it needs  courage now , and in authority to look  into  this . I feel  the pain .Huge love to the ' survivors ' of these atrocities. X .

Offline Wendy50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 18:37 GMT (UK) »
The name was Glover at Elmleigh. I do not think there is anything anyone can do. The DHSS knew what was going on there, so where do you take that information?
I am so sorry you did not get to say goodbye to your daughter, I feel your loss. Sadly, there were so many young women in the same situation. I feel so lucky to have kept my daughter. Lucky in the fact that my parents were totally indifferent to whether I lived or died. They were abusive, mentally, physically & verbally so I made sure my daughter stayed with me. I had my family then. Please have courage, strength & love in the knowledge that you were not the instigator in your daughter not being with you. You are not to blame in any way. I wish you all the best in your life ❤️

Offline x34cc

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 13 January 24 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Doing some research for a guy. He was born in december 1959. His birth cert shows 21a manor road, northampton. His moms name was (removed )  How do I go about finding more about her?