Author Topic: two brothers marry two sisters help COMPLETED THANKS  (Read 6712 times)

Offline paulwatford67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
two brothers marry two sisters help COMPLETED THANKS
« on: Wednesday 02 September 09 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hello all

I use Family Tree Maker FTM06

I have discovered two brother Charles and Alfred Manuell married Ruth and Sarah Mandle

Question... how can I link the two families or is it simple and i'm tired or stupid or both :D

thanks

Paul

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: two brothers marry two sisters help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Am I correct in thinking that you don't have parents for either family?

If so then , just create a Father Manuel for the 2 boys and Father Mandle for the girls and ditto for mothers (until you find their records)

If you have got these then I can't offer any other suggestion as I use Familyhistorian and I know that works!

Hope this works for you

Spring

Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline paulwatford67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Spring

I have the parents of both now

I think i'm trying to be too clever

I'm trying to merge them but I can just as easily duplicate the families

I'm off to bed  it may become clear with a nights sleep

thanks

Paul

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 September 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
Sleep well, and hope all is clear!

Spring
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 September 09 00:14 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to merge them but I can just as easily duplicate the families

Hi Paul

What exactly are you trying to achieve? 

I only use whatever version of Family Tree maker is on the ancestry site.  I have 2 brothers married to 2 sisters.  I've just entered each family separately (once each), then added the marriage events.  It doesn't matter whether the brothers married sisters or completely separate women.

Unless, of course, I'm missing something!   :D

Linda

PS Welcome to RootsChat
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 09 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

You sound as if you have complexed your self in parts with your tree maker! Got back to A4 paper, pen and old fashioned checking out parish registers-IGI and censuses! meaning Who's Who (familes) and where they lived,if later years? use electoral registers and newspapers.-Libraries in towns & LDS Libraries.

D/F
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Hodgkiss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 September 09 01:30 BST (UK) »
Do you mean they were cousins? as that makes it harder.. if not then its just a case of seperate entries, as it wont effect it..

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 September 09 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I use FTM, and I too have two chaps who were brothers and whose wives were sisters.  When I entered their details on FTM I had no problems entering the data.  But it does get a tad interesting when printing off a tree chart!  And I have figured out a hardcopy solution after seeking and receiving some really good RChat help.

Lets say John and Joe SMITH were brothers.  And Mary and Jane BROWN were sisters.  John married Mary and Joe married Jane.  (I have changed the real names to protect the privacy of the living)

The two couples children have just four grandparents instead of the more usual eight.  Those children are "double" first cousins.  (Within my own family this has sometimes been called "full blood half brothers and sisters", but that's another story).

On an A3 sheet of paper (2 A4's joined together works for me), put all four grand-parents details down.  Then in the usual spots below them, and taking into consideration the date for the two relevant marriages, put these four childrens' details down under their parents.  Then you can put the details of the children of each of those two marriages in their usual position. And THEN you can add the remaining siblings for John and Joe SMITH and for Mary and Jane BROWN on the (yes, out of chronological order) "other side" of each of those marriages.  

In my case, this meant listing those four children slightly out of chronological order by births, as the younger ones married first.  But I ended up with a document that makes sense to the living descendants...  They can clearly see the two couples (Mr &Mrs John and Mary SMITH and Mr & Mrs Joe and Jane SMITH) and the couples parents - that is the living descendants can see their own grandparents and their own parents and all their own siblings as well as their "double" first cousins.

It is perhaps easier to draw than to write it out in sentence form.  I do hope I have explained it sufficiently.  I got good help from RChatters when I first tried to print out the FTM computer generated trees and was disappointed with FTM's attempts.

Cheers,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 September 09 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I use an old version of FTM that came free with a Sunday paper years ago - 2005?

I also have a brother and sister marrying a brother and sister.  I already had the various people in my tree, but didn't find the details of the second marriage until I had added in another one or two generations.  I think I used the 'Attach Spouse' option to attach the husband and wife from the second marriage and create the link.  From memory this gave me the option of selecting the spouse from people already in my tree, without the need for duplication.

Not sure if this helps!

Rockford

BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]