Author Topic: Halifax, Nova Scotia look up please?  (Read 6888 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Halifax, Nova Scotia look up please?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 September 09 13:39 BST (UK) »
Rebecca (Brooks) is listed in the 1884-1885 directory and is shown as "wid", so my theory is wrong.  ;)

Leonard's middle initial is C.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 September 09 13:51 BST (UK) »
Now I'm curious  ::) ...I'm not checking every directory...I'm skipping years.

Rebecca is listed in 1887-1888:
She is living at 94 Queen with L E Brooks.  Rebecca is noted as "wid Thomas".

I'm not sure how much I can type without copyright problems, so I won't continue to add information from the directory.  But, it does appear that the L E Brooks from an earlier post could be Leonard.

I dont' see Rebecca in 1890-1891.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 September 09 14:45 BST (UK) »
Photographs of Halifax in 1871.
http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/rogers/default.asp
http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/rogers/album.asp?ID=26
There are a couple of images of Granville Street (100 block and 82 Granville) in the book.  These will give you an idea of what the area looked like, aruond the time the Brookes were living there.

There may be more images of Granville, and other images where your Brookes lived (I haven't taken the time to look).

Online rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 September 09 19:03 BST (UK) »
Lisa - you are a gem!! - I can't believe the link you sent - the photos are by Joseph Rogers of Barrington Street - the picture I have of Rebecca is taken by him - at the very studio which is pictured (in background) of one of your links.  I am amazed at the level of detail you can get on my people! - their addresses and everything.  And I now know Thomas died before her, and never came back to UK.  Also that they sometimes went as Brooks without the 'e'.  I am so excited! - you can't magic up a birth cert for Thomas Washington Brookes in Jackson can you?? - born 1851?
Also amazed at how grand Halifax looks at this time - I was expecting wooden frontages, not big stone buildings - quite fancy visiting now!!
ali

I'm attaching Rebecca's photo - she doesn't look very happy to be in front of Mr Joseph Roger!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 September 09 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ali:

It's fun to be able to find things for other people.  ;D  Within the past two months, a wonderful RootsChatter has found buildings that my ancestor's brother occupied (York, England, mid-1800's).  He even found a newspaper article about "Pump Yard" which is where my ancestor was living in 1841.  He and many other people have helped me; it's nice to be able to use my knowledge and help you.

My ancestors settled in Toronto, Canada.  Quite a while ago I found city directories for Toronto and found sites that have old photos.  I took a guess that Halifax might also have directories and photos.

Do you know the approximate date of Rebecca's photo?  In addition to the serious looks photographed people had, perhaps she was truly upset about something?

Looking at the Halifax photos, I was surprised about the incline of some of the roads.  I pictured Halifax as flat.

I will have another look around Jackson, but I can't promise anything.  ;)

Online rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 September 09 21:59 BST (UK) »
I've just trawled through all the directories and worked out when Thomas died (1880), and probably Rebecca (1888).  Also found advert for THomas's business in 1869-70 directory - absolutely fabulous!!  Looks like Leonard did well in Fruit, veg, confectionary and liquor.  However after his mum died he vanishes - I'm pretty sure to Boston to join Nelson as although at different work addresses, they both live at same address.  Leonard is listed as Leonard K, but I'm sure it's my man.  I also think his middle name was Edward due to a mistaken listing on Halifax at their address - Edward L Brookes, instead of Leonard E.  I have all their work and home addresses and can't wait to look again at the photos of Halifax to see if any of the shops are on them! 
Can't thank you enough.  Hope I can pass on the favour to someone else someday!
ali
PS  Not sure about date of photo - has to be before Thomas's death by the age of her. Maybe a photo for her first son Thomas W to take with him back to England? - but if so, why not the whole family??

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 September 09 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ali:

I'm still looking around Halifax, for more facts.  I'm not finding your Brookes/Brooks, but I'll post sites I've tried.  Records are continually added, so perhaps you could check back at these sites in the future, in hopes of finding the Brookes' cemetery.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi
http://www.interment.net/can/ns/index.htm
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nshalifa/
Note: I've not looked thoroughly for Rebecca and Thomas.

PS  Have you tried dating the photo?  I did, with one of my ancestors, and fortunately someone was able to date his photo within two years of it being taken (1869-1871).

It's midday here, and we have an errand to run.  I'll be back tonight.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 September 09 08:36 BST (UK) »
Brookes/Brooks is also not listed here (yet):
http://cemetery.canadagenweb.org/NS/index.html#surname

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 September 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
I agree with Lisa, it is so much fun helping others. I too have had much help from other rootschatters and it is so good to be able to do something in return. What comes around goes around....

The Halifax links were great for me too, Lisa. My g grandmother was born there in 1854 in the surrounding countryside, married an Irish soldier in the garrison there in 1876, so the pics were very relevant to the environment she grew up in.   

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON