Author Topic: Birth Certfucate of Jane Scott c:1849 d:13.12.1935  (Read 1832 times)

Offline McKL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Certfucate of Jane Scott c:1849 d:13.12.1935
« on: Thursday 03 September 09 21:01 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the birth certificate of Jane Scott who married a William McKenzie on 31.12.1872 in Drainie. 

her parents were James Scott and fisherman, bookseller and evangelist and mother was Janet McLeod.  They were married 17.9.1837.  I know from James' autobiography that they travelled alot preaching in Scotland.  So as can not find Jane in Moray/Banff wondering if she may have been born elsewhere.  However, even an opened ended search has ended in nothing

Also on any on the census she is never listed her older and younger siblings are.  She is always missed out. Even aged 4 in 1851 census there is no mention of her.  The only place I can find her is in Moray Heritage Index where James and Janet's children are listed!

Totally baffled!  Can anyone help!

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certfucate of Jane Scott c:1849 d:13.12.1935
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 September 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to RootsChat

Have you tried looking for Jane Scott in the censuses, without her family?  She may have been living with relatives or another family.  Perhaps she wasn't well enough to do all the travelling.

If you can track her back to 1851, it might give you a better idea of where she was born.

Also, are you looking for births or baptisms?  I seem to remember someone saying that national registration was started in Scotland even later than England & Wales (1837), so there may not be a birth certificate as such.

If you need help, give us as much information as you can.

We love a challenge  :D :D

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Certfucate of Jane Scott c:1849 d:13.12.1935
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 September 09 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi McKL

You have the census entries by the sounds of it and siblings/children born to James Scott and Janet McLeod  :)

Where you are struggling is finding details for Jane. I don't think you may be aware that in Scotland, there were are number of names that had variants that were interchangeable. You can often find a whole array of different entries for people where any of these variants could have been used.

Jane can be a variant for Jean, Janet, Jessie and many more...see www.whatsinaname.net

So the 4 year old Janet you have in 1851 for example would highly be Jane. An IGI www.familysearch.org submitted entry for her:

Janet Scott Birth: 1847 Stotfield, Drainie, Moray (where the family show in 1851).

Monica  :)

Added: I can see that Carol and ED have already provided quite a bit of info recently on www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,395128.0.html

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk