Author Topic: Help looking for Family Descendants of Lifeboatman James McBay Johnshaven  (Read 70420 times)

Offline JockBlues

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help looking for Family Descendants of Lifeboatman James McBay Johnshaven
« Reply #54 on: Monday 25 November 13 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi My name is John Blues born 1943 my father was George Blues (Doh Blues) Married to Margaret (Meg) Ritchie lived in no.1 herds crescent, Johnshaven. My grandfather was Diddy Tam. I have family tree dating back to 1522 at present. Anyone remember any family members. I ended up being a lifeboatman in Arbroath serving over 32 years. It must be in the blood. Would love to hear from anyone who knows me or my family.

Offline JockBlues

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 25 November 13 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Foggyman, was your fathers name Rick? Did you or rick buy the BSA Bantam from dod blues, if so when? Sorry to hear of your loss. John Blues.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 25 November 13 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Did you or rick buy the BSA Bantam from dod blues, if so when?
Hello Jock,
I'm five years older than you so if you went to Johnshaven Primary or Mackie in Stoney we would not have been at school together.  I'm the person who bought the BSA Bantam.  I can't give you a precise date but it was late 1950s, probably on one of my leave breaks between ships.  I was in the Merchant Navy from age 17 to 22, most of the time on Shell Tankers.  I got married in the early 196Os, changed to a shore job and moved away from Johnshaven to Stirlingshire only returning to take holidays with family. 
The BSA was passed to my Dad who travelled daily from Johnner to Bervie on a push bike.  He did that for many years to get to his work.  He was a baker and work for Coupers. I think he sometimes took the shore road from 'Johnner', through 'Gurden' to Bervie so the Bantam didn't survive that very long.

Best Wishes
Sy
in Dumfries

Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline JockBlues

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 25 November 13 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Cant put a face to the name i was in Johner primary from 1947 - 1950 that means you must of been in primary 4. Then left for a couple of years to go to Craigo. Do you know George Adam? John Henderson or Alfie Nichol or David Ritchie? Regards John

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Yes Jock, I know them all ! Alphie and his two brothers Bill and Irvine. Both Fat & Skinny Ritchie were pals of my youngest brother Wattie P. Skinny R is now deceased as are many of my early Johnner pals.
My best pal for many years was Eddie McBay, our friendship continued right up until he died. His father was Edward one of the two local Butchers business.   National service split a lot of us up,  most went into the Army or Airforce, I bucked the trend and went to Leith Nautical College and then the MN as an Apprentice.
Today when I visit Johnshaven, there are very few I know.  Still around are Clark S. & Ron W who were both a little older than me. Also seen at my last visit in August were Frankie L & Robbie C who are both my vintage.
I'm sorry Jock but I can't place you in the Johnner gang but that is probably due to the age difference. In the war years we lived in the flats below the Mason's Hall just up the close from Tammie Blues's cottage.  We moved to the new houses at Waughton Place after that.
I called Ed's mother Auntie Matt although she wasn't actually my aunt, she was a Blues -- we are related a few generatons back though when my mother's line, the FREEMANs, married with the MACKIEs.
I was known as Sandy P or Alec P while in Johnshaven.  Names were dictated by what teachers called you.  At Mackie Academy I got Alex. 
My brother Wattie P died a couple of years ago, my brother Bill now lives the Newcastle area.

Had better stop before the moderators tell me I'm wrting too much.

Best Wishes
Sandy P
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline janeite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 27 March 14 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I thought I'd add a little bit to the discussion as I'm in the process of organizing a trip to Johnshaven in June (I live in Victoria, BC, Canada) and you're filling in a few blanks for me - thanks! Also, this is my first post on Rootschat so hope I do this properly.  :)

My Great Grandfather was Thomas Ritchie Jarvis (1866-1954). His father was James Jarvis (1847-1933) and his mother was Elspeth Wood (1848-1913). Thomas was the eldest child and it looks like there were 9 children in total but I've still got research to do on his siblings.

If anyone is interested, I have some old photos of James, Thomas, and Thomas's sister, Elsie (who married into the McBeys), as well as other family members taken on visits to Johnshaven - some are taken in the 1920's, some in the late 1940's and early 50's. Thomas had moved away and served in the Merchant Navy until finally marrying Maggie Galloway in 1896 and settling in Paisley.

Regards,
Merle B. nee Jarvis

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Elspet Ritchie Jarvis b. 1878 Benholm
« Reply #60 on: Friday 28 March 14 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Elspet married my 2c3xr CHARLES MCBAY 1898 Benholm SP Ref. 253/00 0003.
Our common ancestors will be my 4xgrt.grandparents Alexander b. 22 Jul 1769, Miltonhaven St.Cyrus, Kincs.  McBay/Bey and Christian Ritchie b.24 Jun 1783 Benholm. They had 11 children and my line comes from Thomas b.7 Dec 1811 Miltonhaven.
I have a lot of information on the MCBAY/BAY line if you are interested.
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline janeite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 28 March 14 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi foggyman,

Yes, I am very interested.

I've also been curious about the Ritchie connection. It is my Great Grandfather and my Uncle's middle name but was never able to make the connection before. My Uncle is also Thomas Ritchie Jarvis.

Thanks very much!

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 28 March 14 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 I do not have any information on the JARVIS line. I am able to help you with the Mcbay/Bey
 line.
 Send me any questions you may have and I will try and answer them.
Regards
Mike

Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson