Author Topic: Help looking for Family Descendants of Lifeboatman James McBay Johnshaven  (Read 70422 times)

Offline janeite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help looking for Family Descendants of Lifeboatman James McBay Johnshaven
« Reply #63 on: Friday 28 March 14 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I was just checking your McBay/McBey information and saw the Elspet Ritchie Jarvis/Charles McBay and Jimmy Simpson/Lizzie McBay entries. I'm just going to head out to meet my Dad for coffee and will fill him in on all this. Jimmy and Lizzie visited Vancouver, I believe, in the seventies. I have a photo of them with my Grandparents and my Dad.

When I visit Johnshaven in June, I will be going to the cemetery. Am I right in thinking that there isn't a plan of the graves?

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 28 March 14 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I Live near LONDON UK and have never been to the areas where my
ancestors came from, so I can't answer your question regarding a grave plan.
It is very interesting that you plan to be in Johnshaven in June 2014, because
there are 3 sisters coming over from Canada in June who are also related to
common grandparents. I am awaiting a message from them regarding their
itinerary as I am also planning to be in Scotland around the same time to
carry out some research. It would be very interesting if we could all be there
around the same time.
Regards
Mike
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline janeite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 28 March 14 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Coincidences! I'll be in Scotland for about 6 weeks, arriving at the end of May and returning July 8th. I will be "based" in East Renfrewshire but have 3 small adventures planned. Island of Luing for other family research, 3 nights in Johnshaven (small cottage already booked and confirmed) and then a coach tour of the highlands and Outer Hebrides (no family research, just because). I've left time in between to do some day trips but also to spend some time at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow checking the archives.

Keep in touch regarding the dates, a family reunion would be interesting indeed! 

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
It has been very interesting to read the contributions to this post. I have some McBay's in my family and wonder what connections there might be with the McBays mentioned. My Great Grandmother was born Margaret Jane McBay in 1882 at Catterline. Her father was James Hamilton McBay, married to Fanny Stephen, and her Grandfather was Alexander McBay, married to Marianne or Mary Anne Pike. James Hamilton was born in Freswick, Caithness and Alexander was a Coastguard. The Coastguard at Catterline in 1841 was James McBay, but I don't know what connection he has to my family although location and occupation make this likely.
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 16 June 14 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi  Heather,
I can answer all your questions.
At this very moment I am staying in the converted OLD FISHING STATION in St.Cyrus and I
have been here for the last eight days I leave today to go to Edinburgh, then fly home to London
on Wednesday.
I will send you the details I have by the end of this weekend.
I look forward to hearing from you again.
Regards
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 16 June 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Foggyman. I look forward to hearing what you have discovered.
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mcbay/Bey
« Reply #69 on: Monday 04 August 14 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather,
You sent me a message Re: McBay/Bey line that are my ancestors. I cannot reply because there is an error re: your address.
I am off to California, USA on 5th Aug and will not be back home again until 23 Aug. The information you have given in your message does show we are related.
Send me another message and I will make contact with you when I return from USA.
Regards
Mike

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 04 August 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike, I'll send you another message with my email address. Look forward to hearing from you Heather

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 04 August 14 21:25 BST (UK) »
An earlier link to the Johnshaven football club doesn't seem to be working, but here's a link to the main page: http://www.johnshaven.com/ There are some great pictures on this site. I particularly love the photograph of Betsy Souter, nee McBay, born in 1842.