Author Topic: Please restore grandad and confirm regiment  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Please restore grandad and confirm regiment
« on: Friday 04 September 09 20:58 BST (UK) »
I'd be very grateful if someone could restore just the first faded one of these two photos of my husband's grandad Francis William SPENCE b.1885.  I have found a WWI medal card for a Francis W. SPENCE, Battery Quarter Master Searjeant, Royal Field Artillery 163B (TF), (no personal details of Francis given) and would like to know if the uniform in these photos confirm that it could be the same man.   Many thanks in advance,  Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Please restore gt.grandad and confirm regiment
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 September 09 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara  :)

I will put a link on the Armed Forces Board, asking them to have a look at your photo and see if they can help with the uniform aspect  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 September 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Prue, I should have thought of doing that  :)

I'm sorry I should have asked for restoration of just the one faded picture, the other is quite good and was just to show the uniform in more detail, will edit my post to that effect

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 September 09 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara,

Here's a bit of a clean for you, including the one you didnt want doing.

Jim
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 September 09 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

That was quick, thanks very much indeed :D 

I've been trying to post this reply for ages, not sure why I wasn't able to  :-\

Not saying I didn't want the other pic restoring, but I didn't want to be too greedy or waste any of your valuable restoration time

Thanks again
Barbara
 :)

Offline LJReb123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 September 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,

popped over from the armed forces board!

The studio photograph is of a soldier in the Royal Artillery taken around 1895 ish.

There are a number of pointers in the photo - The Pill box headress-the collar dogs-the uniform would have been blue with a red stripe down the centre of the trouser leg (just visible)-and he appears to be wearing a stable belt in the colours(pattern) of the RA.

Given the absence of any rank I would suggest he was a driver when this was taken.

regards

David

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 September 09 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Thanks very much for the information.  I'm a bit puzzled now though, if the uniform suggests a date of 1895, as F.W was only born 1885 - maybe it's a pic of his father although we had no idea either of them were in the armed forces at any time.  So the medal card may not be his..

Lots to ponder here  :-\

Thanks again, Barbara  :)

p.s. have amended post title from gt.grandad to grandad  :-[

Offline chewboy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mark 44
    • View Profile
Re: Please restore grandad and confirm regiment
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 September 09 16:14 BST (UK) »
The style of the uniform is 1895, but as it is a dress uniform, would date from much later.

Many units have dress uniforms which come from other eras.

Mark :)
Mark ;)

GENEALOGY IS A SUCCESSFUL FAMILY BUSINESS

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Please restore grandad and confirm regiment
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 September 09 18:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mark, so it could be the same person then, that's a relief!

Barbara  :)