Author Topic: 1911 Census McMenamin Meenakeeran, Termonamongan, Tyrone  (Read 5095 times)

Offline ronw2009

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1911 Census McMenamin Meenakeeran, Termonamongan, Tyrone
« on: Saturday 05 September 09 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody. This is my first post.

I am looking how to locate & have somebody visit  my McMenamin ancestors farm that I have seen on the 1911 Census in Meenakeeran Townland, Parish Termonamongan, Co Tyrone.
It was item number 10 in name of Patrick McMenamin on both  forms A & B taken by the enumerators Constable Owen Farrelly on the 2nd April & 23 April respectively) but nothing else I can find that might be useful.

I have sent emails to the site I found the census on & a few others, but does anyone know if a map record was kept by the enumerator or another where I could find it?

By the way my 1st cousin x 3 times removed, Patrick was b.1856 & married a Mary b. 1859 in St Patrick's the family church in Aghyaran (near Castlederg, Co Tyrone)  on 22 Nov 1881 & had at least seven (7) children vis Susan b. 1890, Bridget b. 1894, Twins Mathew & Elizabeth b. 1896, John b. 1898. Francis b. 1900 & Roger b. 1902.

Patrick,s parents were Owen b. 1807 in Donegal & Margaret b. 1808 Tyrone & they married in 1840 & had 9 children
Margaret is my 2nd Great Grand Aunt whose parents  Roger b. 1780 & Mary nee Connolly b. abt 1780 were my 3rd Great Great Grandparents who left for Canada & on to Philadelphia, Pa. USA in Jan 1840 with all their other 11 children (excepting Margaret who was married) including my 2 Great Great Grandfather another Patrick who was b. 1827 in Meenakeeran & subsequently came to Australia.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who could help or who I could provide any assistance to.

Regards,
Ron

Offline kintree

• RootsChat Senior
  • Thicker than water
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census McMenamin Meenakeeran, Termonamongan, Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 09 09:29 BST (UK) »
Ron

Welcome to RootsChat.

There are no maps associated with households enumerated in Censuses. But you may be able to find heads-of-household in Valuation records, which are recorded by townland, and include maps. For Tyrone, these are held at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI).

Adrian
STEVENSON County Derry;  KINSMAN;  BATTERSBY Dublin

Offline ronw2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 09 00:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Adrian.

I found Griffiths maps online at http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml where it is possible to find farms using their map numbers for the maps they used & then overlay it with a current road map to direct me to the ancestral farm.

I am about to book my flights.

Regards,

Ron

Offline joannb63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 January 13 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron,
I have always been researching my McMenamins from Carrickalangan Donegal but i also have McMenamins from Aghyaran in my tree. I havent done too much research on this yet but i have contact with living descendants of this line in Ireland.
Regards
Jo

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 January 13 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, although there are no maps associated with the Census records, it is possible to get an idea of where a house is situated as the numbers used in the 1901/11 Census ireland usually tie in with the numbers used in the Griffith Valuation of 1857, obviously there will be more houses (usually)  in the census records.

Mennakerran townland

Griffith has the plots numbered 1 - 18 with several sub divided, Number 10 has a Patrick McMenimin (plot not divided) farming 11 acres

1911 Census
households numbered 1 - 27, number 10 being your Patrick McMenimin (farmer)

1901 Census, your  Patrick living at number 11, another Patrick McMenimin at No. 9 (67yrs old) possible uncle?

Now I realize there are many McMenimins living in the townland but without further information I would guess that the plot and associated map from 1857 for number 10 may well coincide with No. 10 from 1911 (based on my own research of other farming families and plot numbers tying in between Griffith and Census records)

If you had access to the Griffith revision records it would also be a big help

Is this your Patrick's will book entry from 1922? His father Owen may also have been Patrick which would tie in with the Griffith record

McMenamin Patrick (Owen) of Meenakeeran county Tyrone farmer died 1 May 1922 Administration Londonderry 24 April to Mary McMenamin widow. Effects £105 18s. 4d.

There still seems to be a farm in the same location (No. 10 1857) on the Tullycar Rd, Meenakeeran although it appears to be a modern building.

Regards

Joe 
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America