Author Topic: Hannahan /now received the certificates  (Read 4760 times)

Offline alex_01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannahan /now received the certificates
« on: Saturday 05 September 09 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi i have hit a brick wall and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice! my grandmother Lucy mary Reed was bn in cardiff wales 1894 on her birth cert it gives her mothers maiden name as Hannahan, first name Helena. I then found them on 1901 census living in west ham london, it says place of birth Ireland.Then on 1911 census it says Limerick. She was born approx 1864, also I cannot find her marriage to James Michael Reed ,on 1911 census it shows they had been married 20 yrs. could they have married in Ireland? James was in merchant navy and born in Colchester Essex can't find any trace of them on 1891 census it really is a mystery. I was told I need to know Helenas town she was born in and her parents names!!! would be really grateful if some one could help me or recommend a good researcher thanks Pat
Gillett st lukes
Maloney
Day Norfolk
Reed colchester
Hannahan/ Hanrahan Limerick
Steward stepney

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hannahan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 September 09 11:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. My 1st thought when I saw your post was that Helena's name might be Hanrahan instead of Hannahan.
Index to Irish civil registrations is now online (free) and there's nothing for Helena Hannahan but I did find the marriage-
Helena HANRAHAN marriage Jan/Mar 1891 Limerick registration district volume 5 page 306
James REID- same details
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails;t=searchable;c=1408347

With this information you can order the marriage certificate and it will tell you the residences of bride and groom at time of marriage and should list their fathers' names and occupations.
www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Once you get more information you can search the 1911 Irish census (if any relatives stayed in Ireland)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

IGI (www.familysearch.org) has some, not all, Irish births 1864 (start of registration)-c1882. I did a search for Helena Hanrahan and several possibilities in Co. Limerick came up (in Ireland Ellen is the more common for of Helen/Helena).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alex_01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 September 09 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much this is brilliant !!!  ;D the date of the marriage would be right, I will order it asap thanks for replying so quickly Pat
Gillett st lukes
Maloney
Day Norfolk
Reed colchester
Steward stepney

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 September 09 13:55 BST (UK) »
When you get more details post them on this thread if you need help finding any more information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alex_01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 September 09 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi I will ,thank you again for your help :)
Gillett st lukes
Maloney
Day Norfolk
Reed colchester
Steward stepney

Offline alex_01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 09 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi just thought I would let you know I had a look at the births on family search and think I may have found the one , Ellen Hanrahan Limerick 1864 28th aug St michaels 0399 Limerick father Charles Hanrahan, mother Lucy Macmahon, could be the one as my nan was Lucy perhaps she was named after her grandmother?  also found a sister Lucy born 8th oct 1867 died 1871 mothers name this time spelt Mcmahan. Pat
Gillett st lukes
Maloney
Day Norfolk
Reed colchester
Steward stepney

Offline alex_01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hannahan /now received the certificates
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 October 09 11:13 BST (UK) »
Received them today :) i'm so thrilled to have last found found the marriage they were married jan 20th 1891 in St michael church, James was a sailor ( which I already knew) Helena's father was Charles Hanrahan and was deceased his profession was a Pilot residence at time of marrige was Windmill St . Helena's birth was august 1864 looks like place of birth was the windmill? writing not very clear! mother was Lucy formerly Macnahan? again writing not clear. father's profession again pilot and residence the windmill. I'm now hoping to try and find out more about my Irish side, perhaps there may be relatives still there it would be great if you could now advise me the best route to take. thanks again Pat
Gillett st lukes
Maloney
Day Norfolk
Reed colchester
Steward stepney

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 October 09 12:37 BST (UK) »
might be related... In an 1894 directory (Slater's) there a listing for Limerick City as follows :

James Hanrahan , pilot, 55 Henry street

my guess is that Lucy's surname is McMahon.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline alex_01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 October 09 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks I will check that out :)
Gillett st lukes
Maloney
Day Norfolk
Reed colchester