Author Topic: St Andrews Church Newcastle on Tyne, Coat of arms help please  (Read 3017 times)

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
St Andrews Church Newcastle on Tyne, Coat of arms help please
« on: Saturday 05 September 09 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, Mod could you move it please if I'm wrong  :)

Archaeologia aeliana, or, Miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity‎ -
Another interesting snippet from these great books give this...

"To the west of these fragments is a fine slab ledger stone of blue marble (no.12 on plan) at the top of it being a coat of arms bearing a chevron bearing 3 escallops, between 3 goats heads erased, surmounted by a crest and helmet and surrounded by a rich mantling.
Below the arms inscription no. 12 on plan
The burial place of William Newton and his family Underneath this stone lieth interred the remains of Dorothy the beloved wife of William who departed this life 5th January 1789. Much lamented by her family and friends aged 49 years
William Newton died April 29th 1798 aged 69 years"

I'm interested in the coat of arms mentioned. Did a google for the Newton name and the ones that come up are nothing like the description above.
Can anyone throw any light on this please? Me being not very well versed in these things!

Many thanks Sylvia
Sorry have to go to bed it's very late here
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
Re: St Andrews Church Newcastle on Tyne, Coat of arms help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 September 09 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hy Sylvia

Have looked through the Newtons (9 of them) listed in 'Fairbairns Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland' by James Fairbairn and your description is not listed.

The ones listed covered England; Yorks Lincs and Derby; Kent and Warwick; Northumberland; Scotland; Cheshire and Salop; Beds Bucks and Devon;  - so it pretty well covered most of the country.

Sorry I could not confirm it for you

Chris in 1066
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 September 09 13:39 BST (UK) »
I am not sure what Chris was looking for in Fairbairnes because the information that you provided does not include any description of the crest.  My copy contains 12 Newtons but I will agree with Chris that none of them describes a goats head as a crest which is the only lead that could be expected.

Coats of Arms belong to individuals but may be passed on from father to son.  You may find that your local main reference library holds some of the large expensive books which actually list the shields owned by individuals.  These could help you locate the family to which the shield that you described belonged.  You don't indicate which area of the country in which this memorial was found.  However I would suggest that you will have more hope in finding out about the family in the records of the church involved and if there is one the Harleian Society publication of the Heralds visitations to the county.  These would have been a hundred years earlier but the shield which you describe sounds as though its origin is much earlier.

If you can find out the details of the crest and helmet we may be able to extract some more information.

Most internet searches that you do will come up with the shield which belonged to an individual Newton some time in the past.  There will be very many of these and even if you found the one you are looking for, there is a reasonable chance that the commercial firm involved will know nothing about the individual to whom it belonged.  All they want to do is sell you goods bearing the shield.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 05:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks David and Chris
I do have quite a lot on this family
I was really only interested in the coat of arms mentioned on the Monument. I always thought there had to be some sort of historical entitlement to these.
After doing (yet another) Google search I've found out that the symbols have meanings....
Escallop (scallop shell) - Traveller to far places or victorious naval commander
Goat - One who wins through politics rather than war
This I think paints a fascinating picture of the original owner of the CofA.  ;D
I wonder if these were actually of the Bell family (William Newton's wife) as she was buried first?
Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk