Author Topic: Main(s) family- Roxburgh  (Read 1960 times)

Offline icini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me
    • View Profile
Main(s) family- Roxburgh
« on: Saturday 05 September 09 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hello: is anyone else out there researching the Main family? I am trying to go back with Jane Main born circa 1826. A search of SP found a Jane Main born 1827 to George Main(s) and Eliza Routledge. Their other children include William, Adam,George.  Of course I don't know if this is her birth  for sure. I do have her death record - 1853 in which it mentions her husband - John Smith. it is in Edinburgh.

I can't find a marriage for John Smith and Jane; all I know is that their sons( William,. John, Robert) were all born in England and two daughters ( Christina and Janet) in Edinburgh. I tried free BMD for England but no luck. I thought perhaps there is some connection with England because of having the sons born there.  Another poster sent me an 1841 census for John in which  mother is named Janet but no mention of father.

If someone is researching the same family I would appreciate a note so we can compare information.
Thanks.  Donna
Lanarkshire: Dow, Dickson, Duncan, Buchanan,  Maclachlan, Wallace, Mitchel, Freckleton, Dollar, Whitten(on),Liverance, Murray, Gibson, Scoular, Telfer, Fisher,Slimman
Bo'ness: Henderson, Wallace, Foot(e)
Irvine: Petrie, Millar, Jaffrey, Allen,Boyd,
Edinburgh: Huldberg, Smith, Main, primrose
Roxburgh: Main, Smith, Sutherland
Wales: Islay, Wilkes, Morris, Ponter
England: Murray ( Windsor), Ponter ( Bath),
Ireland: Whitten, Irvine, Miller, McWilliams,Tremble,Greenaway, Stevenson,Wilson

Offline mareanna

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Main(s) family- Roxburgh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 13:44 BST (UK) »
I have a Jane Main (b abt 1828) BUT she is married to a cousin Sir Henry Jamnes Sumner Maine, KCSI.  :-\

If you want to see what I have for those Main(e)s, the tree is at http:\\www.antill.org.uk   Go to the surname list and then Main/Maine.  Some of the dates have been checked with SP, some of the biographies are from other web-sites.

I asked on the occupations board about "Bailie of Keler" - check that out for the help and advice, as it looks as if Keler should be Kelso.  George Main was a Bailie then a Writer

Hope this helps, even if you know which you aren't tracing  ::)

mareanna
Weston/Wesson, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire & Leicestershire
Merriman - Stanford on Soar, Canada & Australia
Antill and Wood-Antill, in Mountsorrel, Leicestershire, Caernarfonshire, Canada & New Zealand
Bamford, Northamptonshire & Derbyshire
Baum
Curtis
Richards
Elwin
Locker
Robinson
Langham
Langsdale
Ferguson - Ireland and Devon
Bamford
Newbold