Author Topic: COMPLETED thanks to JenB & Ceeoh - Cavendish House, Coatham - where was it?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
COMPLETED thanks to JenB & Ceeoh - Cavendish House, Coatham - where was it?
« on: Sunday 06 September 09 02:27 BST (UK) »
Mentioned in a family will are several properties, one of which is the leasehold  dwelling-house called Cavendish House, and the Victoria Baths at Coatham, which had cottages, baths, gardens and premises adjoining. 

Other properties were in Middlesbrough but the streets were named for those.
I know roughly where the Victoria Baths were in Coatham, and have a photo of them, but know nothing about Cavendish House, or whether it was also in Coatham, which seems likely. 

Does anyone know where it was (or still is) ?

Thanks for looking,
Barbara
 :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cavendish House, Coatham - where was it?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 September 09 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara
My  hubby was an "errand boy" around 1945.  The name Cavendish House rings a bell with him.  Not sure if he is correct but he says it is or was on Coatham Road, about 4th or 5th house on the right after the Lobster Hotel, going towards Warrenby.

Those houses are all still there but are in a terrace - so not sure if the above is correct.  Most of the houses along there have been modernised (I was at school in Blenheim Terrace (off Coatham Road) with a girl who lived in one of those houses!)

Wonder if there is a rootschatter in Redcar who would take a walk along and see if the name is still there?  I was along there in May and a lot of the houses still have names.

Margaret

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 September 09 18:07 BST (UK) »
Barbara,

There is a Cavendish House in Coatham on the 1901 Census.
It is at RG 13 / 4570 / Folio 69 / Page 3.
Street names before and after might help you to locate it.

Jennifer

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 September 09 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Margaret and Jennifer, that's great.  :D

Have just looked at the 1901 census from the ref. you gave, to see if I knew names of the occupants, and didn't, though I see the head of household is a boarding housekeeper, but a few doors down the page is 1, Newcomen Terrace which is where some of the family lived in 1871 census - so I know roughly where Cavendish House was now.

I will be going to Coatham on Thursday to collect my grandson from school, so will have a wander round there.  The name may be engraved on a glass panel above the door (she says hopefully!)

Thanks a lot
Barbara
 :D
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK