Author Topic: Rowlingsons in Linton Cambridgeshire  (Read 8573 times)

Offline kyliemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rowlingsons in Linton Cambridgeshire
« on: Friday 04 March 05 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

This is my first time posting to the list.

I have been researching the Rowlingson name in Linton. This family lived at Mill Road in 1 Malting Cottage. I can find this family on the Census from 1841 - 1901.
I am stuck with quite a few things though and thought someone may be able to help me.

George Rowlingson (Born 16 Apr 1810 - Linton)
married (by banns 25 Dec 1836 - Hadstock, Essex)
Sarah Lofts (Bapt 10 Mar 1813 - Hadstock, Essex)

They had the following children:

Arthur Rowlingson (Bapt 18 Jun 1837 - Hadstock, Essex)
Richard Rowlingson (Born 2 Jan 1841 - Linton)
Sarah Anne Rowlingson (Born 25 Aug 1843 - Linton)
Amelia Rowlingson (Bapt 26 Jul 1846 - Linton)
Walter Rowlingson (Bapt 24 Jun 1849 - Linton)

Both Richard and Walter relocated to Australia (I have their death certificates that list George and Sarah as their parents)

I found Amelia on the census in 1881 at Higham, Barugh, York (a visitor at her cousins place). She was 35 and still unmarried. I cannot find her after that or any death or marriage records.

Sarah Anne appears on the 1851 Census at age 8 but does not appear with the family in 1861. I cannot find her on the census or any marriage or death records.

Arthur appears on the 1851 census at age 14 and I can not locate him from there or any marriage or death records for him.

Richard appears on the 1851 Census at age 10 and then disappears until his marriage in April 1867 in Brisbane, Australia. I cannot find any immigration information for him either.

Walter appears on the 1861 Census at age 11 and then I can find an immigration record for him leaving London on 'Alexandra' on 7 Jan 1874. Do you have any suggestions for what census I could try looking at for 1871? Possibly London?

My real puzzle is this.........

On the 1881 Census a grandson (Walter age 4) appears with George and Sarah. And again in 1891 at age 14. I had no idea who he belonged to. Was he an illegimate child of one of the girls? Or did he belong to Arthur?

Further on in my research I found another Walter Rowlingson relocated to Brisbane, Australia on 'Duke of Norfolk' leaving London 15 Dec 1900. His age works in perfectly, he even relocated to exactly the same suburb in Brisbane. It was too much of a coincidence for me - he had to be related.

I finally ordered his death certificate the other day. It lists his parents as Walter Rowlingson and Amelia Wood and he was born in Cambridge. This has confused me even more. As you can see - the older Walter relocated on his own (in 1874) and then married in Oct 1877 in Brisbane. I also calculate the younger Walter to be born approx 1876/77 - so this doesn't work out.

I cannot find a marriage between a Walter Rowlingson and an Amelia Wood or a birth of a Walter Rowlingson about 1876/77.

I have also found the deaths for Sarah and George in the Linton Parish Registers

Sarah Rawlingson of High Street age 89 died 17 Dec 1902
George Rawlingson of Malting Cottages age 82 died 30 Mar 1892

I ordered the the St Mary's Parish Church Linton Monumental Inscriptions and there were no Rowlingsons on there at all (or any other variation of the spelling). How can I find out where they were buried?

I have come so far but have hit a few brick walls. Any help at all would be much appreciated??????? Any suggestions?????

Kylie

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Re: Rowlingsons in Linton Cambridgeshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi kyliemac,

In case you have not progressed from the time of your posting, I have found a

Sarah Rawlingson Buried St Mary's Linton on 17 December 1902 aged 89.

George Rawlingson Buried St Mary's Linton on 30 March 1892 aged 82

These are from the National Burial Index, thought you may like to know about them :-\

Kind Regards,

Frances :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline kyliemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 January 06 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Frances,

Thank you very. very much for  your kind reply. I thought they might have been buried there - so thank you so much for confirming it for me.

Once again thank you.

Kylie

Offline Arthur Lo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 11 22:55 BST (UK) »
Walter born in 1877 was my great grandfather. Son of Henry Lofts and Clara Hill. He had a sister Hannah Lofts. He married Rose Paulucci and had a son (my grandfather) Thomas Henry born in 1900 in Barnsley.

I can only assume that Henry was born out of wedlock to Sarah before she was married to George Rowlingson.

You have answered a burning question for me as I have not been able to confirm why Henry was called Lofts when his father was apparently called Rowlingson.  Perhaps I will be able to send more later when I have digested your information fully.

best wishes with the research

Arthur

Offline Arthur Lo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 June 11 16:36 BST (UK) »
Walter was the son of Henry Lofts. Henry was born to Emma Lofts (sister of Sarah Rowlingson nee Lofts) on Twenty Third of March 1846 at Hadstock Essex. He is shown in the census as living with his 'uncle' George and Aunt Sarah. He moved to Higham in 1872 and was married to Clara Hills. Walter was their son (my Great Grandfather) and he married Rose Paulucci.

It might be speculated that Henry was the illegitimate son of George Rowlingson and Emma Lofts and that therefore George took him in and brought him up as his son.

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 June 11 10:08 BST (UK) »
From Linton.
bapts, will son john/elizabeth,11.7.1802
marianne  d charlotte  27.11.1840
richard  s george/sarah 7.4.1841
william  s  william/mary,11.12.1842
sarah ann, d george/sarah24.12.1843
richard  s above                 24.12.1843
amelia d geo/sarah  of hadstock, 26.7.1846
timothy s robert/mary,30.4.1848
walter, s geo/sarah   of hadstock,24.6.1849
I have marriages  for1833,1840,1845,1856,1851, 1869,1880, let me know, if you need help with marriages
Burials.
elizabeth, 80, 6.3.1869
richard, 83,  7.8.1867
william  32,  21.3.1846
william  76    20.1.1857
charles   33  28.8.1879.
Margaret.

Offline erinsullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 09:26 BST (UK) »
Hello from another confused family tracer. I have just got to the point of unravelling Susan Emma Gayleards life. Discovered she came to Australia twice and married twice. The 2nd marriage to George Richard Rowlingson in Brisbane in 1867. I am now so confused about his name . As you  have ordered the actual records for them can I ask you to check I am barking up the right tree with my Susan being married to your Rowlingson!
She was born Susan Emma Gayleard born Somerset, came to NEW Australia with her parents and then they went back. she married a Richard Clarke in Somerset then came with husband and child to Brisbane. He drowned and child died and then I "believe" she married Mr Rowlingson.
Is this the right connection?
Thanks so much
Cowell, Hoener, Frazier, Christopher, Dyer, Cheshire

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hello, sorry I do not know.Margaret.

Offline JamesBurroughs52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - this is my first post on here.

My mums grandma was Rose Paulucci - and they were very close - she is named after her and has red hair just like her (my mum is 82 so she has white hair now!)

I have done some work on the family tree but I am stuck with Emma Lofts - I have her son Henry born out of wedlock and then I have her marrying Jonas Freeman when Henry was 12?

Any help would be appreciated - looking forward to hearing from someone out there !!!!