Author Topic: MADGE/MUDGE - Cockington  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Brzozka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MADGE/MUDGE - Cockington
« on: Sunday 06 September 09 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Im looking for any information regarding a George Madge born 1807 in Cockington. From the parish records, it states his parents as Philip Madge and Dorothy Shout. She was from Broadhempston, but I am still at a loss as to where his father was from

There are no records of a Philip Madge being born in Cockington. However, on some records, George is down as Mudge. The confusion is likely caused by there being a Mudge family in Cockington. There seem to be a high concentration of Madge's in the Okehampton area, but as of yet, I have found no tangable link

Does anyone have any information regarding this family?

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: MADGE/MUDGE - Cockington
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 September 09 13:36 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the actual parish register entry for Philip & Dorothy's marriage? It 'may' give parish of origin.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Brzozka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 September 09 13:44 BST (UK) »
From what I can remeber, it is only in the form a line entry in the register

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
I would check again - per the Hardwicke Act marriage entries from 1754 to 1813 typically would read similar to this:
Banns of Marriage between John Squance and Grace Major were published on three several Sundays without denial.
John Squance and Grace Major, both of this Parish were married in this Church by banns, this fourteenth day of October in the year one thousand seven hundred and seventy six by me, Wm. Elland, Curate.
This marriage was solemnized between us John Squance (sig) Grace 'M' Major her mark**  in the presence of John Tapson and William Newton.

See http://www.british-genealogy.com/resources/registers/7marpre1837.htm

Offline Brzozka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 September 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
I am working from the microfiche at my local library. There are a lot of the marriages in the form of Banns as you say - If I remember rightly, it was someone else who provided the basic marriage information (names and date), so I am off the library tomorrow morning to see if I can find anything new.

It was Terry Leaman who did the look-up, and I would think that he would have mentioned if either of them were from different parishes, which it currently seems they both were!

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
There may well be other information in the original register, My marriage index is just that- an index so I would not have any thing else.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline Brzozka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 09 20:43 BST (UK) »
Ah that makes sense then!

I will have to get myself down to the library to sort this out!

It seems unusual in those days that both parties were from different parishes to each other, and neither being from the parish of marriage! Saying that, my great grandparent married in Symonds Yat in 1927, even though the groom was from Tonyrefial and the bride was from Smethwick!

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 September 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
How about this tidbit taken from the A2A

Philip Madge apprentice to John Distin for Tomlins tenement in Preston, yeoman  3134A - 8/PO 136  1790

You can obtain a copy of this apprenticeship indenture from the Devon Record Office.

Terry, if you're reading this - isn't Preston a hamlet in Paignton, not too far from Cockington?

A Philip MADGE was baptised in Paignton 26 Dec 1780, son of Walter & Elizabeth.
He is still alive in 1851 at the HURRELL household in Tormoham, shown as MUDGE.

Offline Brzozka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 September 09 21:58 BST (UK) »
That Philip Madge married a Grace Smith (whom he was still living in the census you were talking about), so it seems that he is not the man we are looking for.

Our man married a woman from Broadhempston (according to her census entry in 1851), so it seems more likely that he was from around there? I always thought though that either the bride or the groom had to be associated with the parish of marriage

And yes, Preston is the next residential area beyond Cockington. A mere stones throw from each other :)