Author Topic: Mealyea and Cuthbertson & the mysterious Vaudeville entertainer  (Read 8947 times)

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mealyea and Cuthbertson & the mysterious Vaudeville entertainer
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 03:00 BST (UK) »
Do I have information on his parents?  Absolutely - they were my great grandparents!!
Robert, born 1841 Maybole, Ayr. was the son of Andrew Cuthbertson & Susan Lynch.  He was a soldier stationed in Ireland
when he met Bridget Ryan.  They married St. Mary's, Limerick on 22nd November 1866.
Robert died 27 March 1921, Larbert Asylum, Stirling - Senile Decay, aged 78.
Bridget was the daughter of Patrick Ryan & Honora O'Connor.  She was born abt. 1842, Ireland, and died 13 March 1913, 15 Main Street, Duntocher - Bronchitis & Heart Failure.

I'd like to take the forgiving view (considering that he led such a 'giving' life) that circumstances that we'll never know kept them apart.
If you'd like to pm your email address to me I'll send on what I have on him.
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 September 09 03:06 BST (UK) »
The little man in the overcoat & hat - that's Alexander.  He coached the Lafayette Men's Soccer Team.
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 September 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,
Did you get my email & attachments okay?
I know we should have covered this earlier, but ... have you got your Grans birth cert.?
I'm just wondering if Alexander 'did the right thing' and was named on the certificate.
Helen

Offline mintymoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 September 09 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

I did get the info, thanks for that, some great research!

On both my Gran's and her sister's birth cert it says illegitimate, but if unmarried, the father has to be present at the time of registration in order to enter their name. Alexander would have been in the states while G Gran was still pregnant.

Cheers,

Pam

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 March 12 01:53 BST (UK) »
There must have been something in the water in Duntocher! My Granny too had one of her two illegitimate children fathered by a Duntocher man whose family owned a Fruit/Grocery shop there.She hailed from Old Kilpatrick.He did put his name on the Birth certificate.
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline Jw67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 January 21 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Great to read you post about Alexander. I have in my tree Elizabeth Cuthbertson 1847, x3 great grandmother, she married  James Auld. Her brother was Robert so that makes her Alexander aunt. Any other information  on the family would be appreciated . Janet

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 January 21 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Nice to hear from you! Robert was the 4th of 8 children: MARGARET  b.abt. 1831, I have no info on her, she was a 9yo in the 1841 census but wasn't with the family in the 1851.  MARY b.abt. 1833, married Robert Lang 1st Dec 1854, Maybole, and died 22nd Apr 1915, Glasgow.  WILLIAM, b. abt. 1837 & died bef. 1851. ROBERT (my g,grandfather) was born 1841 & died 1921.  JAMES b. abt 1845 married Annie McLaren 14th Apr 1868.  He died 17th Sep 1926.  ELIZABETH b. 1847 I had no other info on her and lost her after the 1861 census.  JOHN b. 1850, married Mary Shaw, 31st Dec 1876. He died 18th Jul 1920,  And finally, the 2nd WILLIAM b. 28th Feb 1852, he married Helen McLure.  They emigrated to the U.S. in 1888  They lived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where he died 29th Mar 1907.
I hope that helps you, and any further info on Elizabeth (places, dates events) would be gratefully received.  :)

Offline Jw67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 January 21 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen, I'm still new to all this , only started last year. Elizabeth married James Auld 1864 Bridgeton. Only have a daughter so far for her Elizabeth Cuthbertson Auld b.1865/67, m.1887 Camlachie to William Wilson b.1862. Have a son and daughter for them,  William b.1890 and Elizabeth Cuthbertson Wilson b.1891, m.1923 Calton to Robert Wilson b.1891. They had two daughters. Elizabeth Wilson who married George Beaver 1945 Bridgeton and my gran Janet Brownlie Wilson b.1930 d. 2006, m.1948 Shettleston to Donald Hood Mcmillan b.1927 d.1997. They had 13 children my mum being the oldest. Thanks for getting back to me. Keep safe Janet

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 January 21 02:12 GMT (UK) »
If I can help in any way just let me know.   :)