Author Topic: Matilda LEGOOD  (Read 5891 times)

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Matilda LEGOOD
« on: Monday 07 September 09 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Can any one help me please I am looking for a Matilda Legood, born about 1831 Suffolk, she married a Joseph Jones in NSW in 1847 Australia, not sure when she immigrated, but looking for her baptism.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: matilda Legood
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 September 09 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish ;)
Does her marriage cert to Joseph Jones provide her Fathers/parents names ?.

Most Legoods seem to come from Norfolk.

Does her death cert provide any info? What year did she die?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 September 09 07:04 BST (UK) »
I  can find no marriage Joseph Jones/Matilda in NSW 1847 or near date ???

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 September 09 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
the information about Matilda came from her sons birth certificate in 1859 in Bendigo, I also could not find a marriage in NSW, but the marriage may not have been registered, as they were up in the goldfields at the time, the birth certificate states Suffolk for Matilda's birth, but it is 1822 not 1831, mistake there!!!!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Matilda LEGOOD
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 September 09 16:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry I cant find anything. Hopefully one of the Suffolk experts will help. ;D

Where/when did she die?

Trish

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 September 09 17:30 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is any help there is a  Martha Ann Legood baptised 31/3/1822 at St Mary's Diss.  Diss sits on the borders of Norfolk and Suffolk.

Father's name Benjamin, a shoemaker, mother Elizabeth.
Do you think it is possible Martha  called herself Matilda ??

Regards   Amber39
Norfolk: Copling,Coppen ,Oakley, Vertigans, Cracknell
Suffolk:  Grist, Scopes, Bullenthorpe. Knights,Watcham
Cambs.: Wilson, Andrews.
London: Monk

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help, still to find the death of her in NSW, but thank you again for all your help.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 13:28 BST (UK) »
There are only 4 Matilda James deaths on NSW BMD for years 1847-1910 which I searched.

Where in NSW did they settle?
Deaths are reg. in Young, Balmain, Mudgee, Albury.

Sorry we cant be of more help.

Trish

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have found Matilda last night , death was in Echuca Victoria, 1887, and have downloaded the certificate, and guess what her parents names were Leggett not Lagood, the birth certificate for her son William James Jones was all wrong, makes you wonder some times all this information we take for granted, Oh well we all make mistakes even in 1857 on birth certificates.
I also found her baptism on Family Search, born 1822 Wenhaston Suffolk, parents James Legget and Anne (Thrower).
Still have not found her coming out to Australia, but her death certificate states in 1887, 35 yrs in Victoria and 2 months in NSW, she was aged 64 on the death certificate,parents James Leggett and Ann Thrower - Farmer, but that makes her coming out around 1851 to 1852, yet again the birth certificate of her son states she was married in 1847 in Sydney
What to believe, is this another mistake!!!!!!!
Thanks a million for all your help, you inspired me to keep going.
Trish
Banora Point NSW Australia