Author Topic: 19th Hussars serving in india in 1897  (Read 3895 times)

Offline alison1970

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
19th Hussars serving in india in 1897
« on: Monday 07 September 09 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi help needed please.
Great grandfather was William Oakley born ? served in secunderbad  india in the 19th Hussars married Mary Williams had 1 child that i know of Albert Edward Oakley.
Albert was born in india. On Alberts birth certificate, it states William was a lance corperal reg no 3182.
I am not sure when his service in india started, but he was there in 1987 when Albert was born.
In 1901 Mary and Albert had returned to the uk and was living in the canterbury barracks in york.
Would this indicate that William was still in india ( was it normal for wifes and children to come home while thier husbands were stilll serving.)
Also how do i trace records for this period, as ancestry does not seem to be coming up with anything for me.
Thank you all help apprieciated.
Alison1970

Offline alison1970

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 19th Hussars serving in india in 1897
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
hi bumping this post, even if someone could point me in the right direction as to where to search records for the 19th hussars would be brilliant. Cant come up with anything on ancestry. How do you find british soldiers and thier families where abouts for 1911 if the famiilies were abroad??

I have found a marriage for william and Mary on find my past, they were married in india.  But can't find any record of mary after the 1891 census where i presume she was residing at a boarding school. Although she was born in india, her parents were british, so i guess her father was military too.
Don't want to sound impatient but i really am stuck as to where to look.

thank you xx

Offline Tabbitha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 14:55 BST (UK) »
I recently was trying to find a relative who served in the Hussars,but never managed to find anything about him. This was one page I found useful links on which I hope you will find useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15th/19th_The_King%27s_Royal_Hussars

and this page is very good also.

http://www.angloboerwar.com/index.htm
Lancs:Barrow,Boyer,Carr,Leete,Morris,Phillips,Sabine,Thickett.
West Midlands:Barnett,Blackwood,Falconer
Ireland: Hearn,Morris
USA :Boyer,Thickett

Offline alison1970

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 15:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you tabbitha
I will go look now, the angloboerwar one i had a look at, but like you i could not find any releavant info for my man. Although packed with medal lists etc. Maybe some soldiers never attained  any medals. I wish i paid more attention in history at school now LOL.

Thanks again
Alison

Offline alison1970

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 19:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone.
I have ordered a marriage certificate today for william and mary which will hopefully give me more info.

I have spent all day trying to look up the army records for william.
Without luck, i have tried every site i can think off.
Please could someone help me, all i have is full name William Oakley served in the 19th Hussars reg number 3182.

Thank you
Alison

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

He is not appearing on the Boer War medal rolls. 3184 (who is) was discharged on 21 November 1901, so I would expect Oakley to be discharged about the same time, if he did not extend his service. This would have been after 12 years, so I would expect him to be about 30-35 at this time. Does this fit?

Records for men discharged 1900 to 1913 are original documents in Kew. If you cannot get to Kew Findmypast will be putting surviving records online by 2011. If his papers have not survived you may find him in the Muster Books (WO16) in Kew. These run out in the mid 1890s, but you should find when he enlisted.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm

Mary Ann is actually in the Cavalry Barracks in Canterbury, Kent. According to the index for www.1901censusonline.com there is a Sergeant William James Oakley, aged 31, born London, also in Canterbury, but I cannot find him on Ancestry. So you may have to go through all 94 pages.

Ah… he is indexed as Arkley. He is on Ancestry’s page 83.

I see from the census that Mary Ann was born in India. You may find her father was a military man as well.

Ken

Offline alison1970

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
thank you for your help its been driving me nuts all day. just found the 1901 census for william with your guidance.
Mary's family were military,. I do not have alot of experience with family history, i have only done i tree before which was my own family, and that was not very military at all. ( this is my mother in laws family) and the militaty side i am finding more confusing.
i have two family branches i am trying to research for her and both have military backgrounds and both based in india.
But unfortunately after doing my own tree, i am hooked!
 I am in Devon, but looks like a trip to London maybe on the cards
Thanks again
Regards
Alisonx

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison

I take it you haven't found them in 1911? There is a death of a William aged 32 in Canterbury in Mar (qtr) 1903 on FreeBMD. If this is him and he died in service they would have destroyed his papers 20 years later.

Have you any information about them after 1901?

Ken

Offline alison1970

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 08:07 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Ken

Can't find any record of them after 1901.

I could not find any of them on the 1911 Census. The only info i could find was on Albert edward Oakley, thier son born 1897, he got married to Gladys newcombe and died in 1962 Exeter Devon.

On Alberts birth certificate it states Williams rank and Rgl number as Lc.Cpl 3182.
I have searched and searched the military records on Ancestry, Forces Genealogy, National Archives and the angloboerwar website. Come up with nothing.
Would this rgl number of stayed with him throughout his military career.
Once again thank you
Have a good day
regards
Alison

If he did die in 1903, then its prob likely mary remarried, (explains why could not find her on 1911 cencus) Albert was also military he served in the 1st and 2nd world war. he would of been 14 in 1911 so would he of signed up to the Army so young. :-0