Author Topic: 19th Hussars serving in india in 1897  (Read 3896 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 19th Hussars serving in india in 1897
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 19:03 BST (UK) »
I have searched and searched the military records on Ancestry, Forces Genealogy, National Archives and the angloboerwar website. Come up with nothing.

That is no surprise. Basically the only information online is for men discharged between 1914 and 1920 or before the end of 1854. Both series are only a fraction of what they started out as. The ‘WW1’ ones were 60%+ destroyed by the Luftwaffe; while the pre-1855 ones have had 150 years of culling by civil servants trying to save space.  Findmypast will put surviving records for 1855 to 1913 Regulars online by 2011.

Indexes for about 10% of men who served in the Boer War have also been put online.

Would this rgl number of stayed with him throughout his military career.

Only if he stayed in the same regiment, without a break, and even then there are complications. The first unique army number was not introduced until the early ‘20s. – seven digits. So if you see one of them you know when he served. They introduced eight digit ones in 1942.

Ken

Offline alison1970

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 19th Hussars serving in india in 1897
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 19:40 BST (UK) »
HI Ken
Thanks for that info.
I think i will wait until i recieve the marriage certificate for William and Mary, if it is the correct certificate when it comes, i am presuming it may give me some more information, and i will be able to tie in the family i think i have found for Mary.

Sometimes i wish we could go back in time and just spend a day with our descendants. it would prob help us greatly with our research if we could!
But i enjoy searching the records, and the excitment when you find the right one,
Have a nice evening
Regards
Alisonx