Author Topic: Help with location in Moate  (Read 3747 times)

Offline villandra

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with location in Moate
« on: Monday 07 September 09 19:33 BST (UK) »
I have this description of the location of one of the 19th century Methodist chapels in Moate.   There were two; a Wesleyan Methodist and a not Wesleyan.   However, what Griffiths in 1854 finds and what is marked on the Ordnance Survey map in one case, is two Wesleyan Methodist Society meeting houses.   I'm supposedly "I think most likely" looking for the other one, and it may possibly not have existed yet in 1854.   One of them is in Newtown, next to James and Thomas Clibborn's textile mill and warehouse, and the other, which is the one marked "Meeting House", is on Dublin Road, or, rather, just off of Dublin Road, rentd from Thos H. Mulock MD.   A Guardians of the Poor (Athlone Union) was nearby, and a dispensary.  Thos H. Mulock and/or William Russell owned a bunch of property in that area and it is ahrd to say who rented from who.

Place I'm looking for had a house on the corner of the lot, either Clibborn or Lowe and probably Lowe.   

This meeting house is on Lower Main Street, not on a corner.  Junction from it is the road that goes to Ballymore and Newtown.      An ugly petro station is in front of it.  I don't know if that clearly identifies it or little rural Moate has two gas stations on every corner.   

Google Maps and teh ordnance survey map don't show no "Lower Main St".   Shows Main St, interspersed with Dublin, Church and Athlone Streets, which are other names for the same road, and what part would be lower Main St is anybody's guess - though I'm given to understand that everyone in Moate knows exactly what "Lower Main St" is.   It's totally unclear what she's talking about with a road that goes to Ballymore and Newtown.   Google finds busines in Moate on Lower Main St but the pages don't include maps.   

Can someone possibly give me a better description of this place, and confirm which Methodist Society had the meeting house.   Also if anyone knows of a Baptist group that ever met there.  If I'm to research the place's history I need to know a couple of details like that.   Thanks!

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, TX

Offline Tomas D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with location in Moate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 June 22 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Dora,
Did you ever solve this query?
Tomas
Adamson, Digan, Kelly, Burke, Griffith, Greene