Author Topic: India: Help please with Baker 1880's West Bengal  (Read 28262 times)

Online hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: India: Help please with Baker 1880's West Bengal
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 17 September 09 15:55 BST (UK) »
Thank goodness back in Stoke......And hopefully better luck..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline chris2705

• RootsChat Member
  • First car through after the rains (South Africa)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 28 September 09 16:27 BST (UK) »
Managed to find out some more about Cedric and his siblings at the British Library. Cedric went to Wellington College and then to India in 1916 where he becomes an officer in the Gurhkas. He fights for two years in WWI in Mesopotamia (modern Iraq) where he was wounded, then in two wars in Afghanistan in 1919 and 1930. He retires from the army and returns to England in 1934 to take up teaching.  He marries in 1938 and has a daughter in 1939. With the outbreak of WWII he is recalled to his old regiment in India and then on to Egypt in 1940. He is sent back to India where he spends the rest of the war (as he is still highly thought of by his superiors) in a training capacity. After the war he returns to his family and resumes his second career as a teacher. He lived to the ripe old age of 89 passing away in 1986. What I find sad is that he appears to be both sensitive and brave and must have been full of fascinating stories, yet lived and died only 20 miles from me and no one in my family even knew of his existence before the start of this forum post......
BAKER            Staffordshire, India, Bengal, (1880's)   
BROWNING    Kent      
LAMING            England, Dover      
SHEPPARD         England, Fenton, Stoke on Trent, Coventry, Warwickshire
BOURKE             Ireland (early 1800's) Merthyr, London, India/Burma

Online hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 28 September 09 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
          what a shame....If only ???...
Anything on the other's?
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline chris2705

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

I did also find out more about the siblings as Cedric's army papers listed next of kin and gives addresses for them. His eldest sister Laura appears never to have married as she is described as "Miss" in any reference up to when she would have been in he 50's. His sister Mabel becomes Mrs. Lilley with an address in Bournemouth (but I can't find any further records for her). Frederick is described as "Superintendant of Police" Indore State, India though I can't find any records of him in England after when I think he returned. The big mystery though still remains in uncovering more about William and Helena and I have not really got any further with those two. What I did find out  though, is that the address on Cedric's return to England was that of his mother who was still alive in the 1930's in Sussex though I can't find a record of her death. I am waiting for a copy of Cedric's birth certificate which will hopefully provide more info and I know that his army application file is held among the LDS records which will no doubt have family details. What I would like to find out is if there is a link to Cedric and the other Baker's in his Gurkha regiment as there has always been a tradition in the army of family following into regiments.

It looks as if Stoke will have to wait a while longer!
BROWNING    Kent      

Online hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 11:56 BST (UK) »
Ah the enigmatic Helena,I'd love to know more about her. :)

Online hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 13:40 BST (UK) »
Are theses way off beam....
1932 in Steyning Helena B Baker age 73
1936 in Worthing Helena Baker  age 72.

Online hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 13:44 BST (UK) »
The second one fits...1n 1911 she was 47..

Offline chris2705

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

They are both distinct possibilities. She was living nearby (Steyning and Worthing are only a few miles apart). Also, one entry in Cedric's army record shows her as Mrs H.B. Baker. I have chased up Cedric's birth certificate and it turns out that the website that I had ordered it from have sent it "standard delivery/16 working days" even though I had ordered and paid for the express delivery so we are going to have to wait until this Friday to see what that reveals. Luckily Sussex archives (co-incidently where Cedric died) send out their copies of death certificates within a couple of days for £7.00 which seems very reasonable
BROWNING    Kent      

Offline chris2705

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 29 September 09 13:49 BST (UK) »
Well spotted!
BROWNING    Kent