Author Topic: moon family  (Read 8833 times)

Offline tofrek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
moon family
« on: Wednesday 09 September 09 05:33 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information regarding my family in Ulster before 1893(the year my grandfather, Robert Moon, was born in Coleraine). I know his father was James Moon , a carpenter, born in Ardkill, Glendermot in 1867. James' father was John Moon who was working as a gardener in 1867. The family were Congregationist church goers. Hoping someone has some additional tidbit that will help me get through that 1867 barrier. Thank you!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: moon family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 09 08:21 BST (UK) »
Previous topics here:
Moon family in Ardkill
Ardkill, Glendermott
Moon-Sherrard marriage

1911 census for Ireland is now online- have you looked at it yet?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline tofrek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 09 05:29 BST (UK) »
Thank You for responding. Yes - I have seen the long awaited 1911 census pages. A wonderful resource for everyone.  My particular area of interest at the moment, as pertains to my family history, is before 1867. I just can't tie any more Moon's to my group until I can shine some light on this time period. The other John Moon and his family( the aghadowey and garvagh clan) obviously complicate things a bit. The really great thing about this site is that more people come onto it every day and bring new questions and answers for us to ponder. One thing leads to another and you never know, the brickwall might come tumbling down.

Offline maggieblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Work hard, play hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

My children's GGrandmother was Minnie Moon married to Samuel George Gamble 27/10/1926 at Castlerock Pres.  I believe Minnie orginally from the Garvagh area.

Maggie
Antrim/Ahoghill/Broughshane Co Antrim - LYTTLE, MEEKE, SWANN, CRAIG, WALLACE, NICHOLL
Maghergall/Derriaghy Lisburn area - SINCLAIR, MCFARLAND, BRAITHWAITE, MORROW, VINT, ELWOOD, MCNEICE, CLOSE, HARBINSON, TODD, MCWATTERS, MCPEAKE, COURTNEY, THOMPSON, BELSHAW,  LARMOUR, DUBORDIEUR, STEWART, WIGGINS
Canada - SINCLAIR
New Zealand - MEEKE
Co Armagh/America - STEENSON
Co Tyrone/Co Londonderry GAMBLE, MOON, LOVE, ROBINSON, LINDSAY, COULTER, WHITE, LYONS, MOOREHEAD, BAIRD, MCCREA, LESLIE.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 September 09 19:49 BST (UK) »
My children's GGrandmother was Minnie Moon married to Samuel George Gamble 27/10/1926 at Castlerock Pres.  I believe Minnie orginally from the Garvagh area.

There were 2 Minnie Moons around the same age in Lisnagroat townland (near Kilrea) in the 1911 census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Tamlaght/Lisnagroat/592499/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Tamlaght/Lisnagroat/592500/

In Garvagh itself, a bit earlier, was John Moon, spirit merchant- John died 1881 aged 42 years, wife Catherine died 1878 age 36. Known children- Joseph (c1871), Margaret Ann (d.1873 aged 3 months), Eliza Jane (1874-1875). 

Minnie if often a nickname for Mary. Any idea of who Minnie's parents were? (father's name and occupation should appear on marriage certificate)

Offline tofrek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 09 07:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for responding. If we bring as many people with Moon family connections as possible into the fray I feel confident some of the Moon's in my orbit will appear. My Great Grandfather James and his wife Elizabeth McNeill had 11 children starting in 1893. There has to be someone out there with a connection. I just have to find that "quiet street where the old ghosts meet." Forgive me Mr. Kavanagh.

Offline Portrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 09 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Think your Father and my Grandfather (James) must have been brothers......

My father James Moon born 1933 died earlier this year born in Coleraine, his father James Moon born in Coleraine 1896 died 1972 - both carpenters......

I know Dad had Uncle living in Canada as he mentioned they sent food parcels through the last war - and very welcome they were by all accounts. 

Sorry The Moon side of the family bit of a dark horse, but my Aunt still living in Scotland.

The Elizabeth McNeill part of your (our) background rings true, as my other Aunt adopted the name Mc Neill after her divorce a few years ago and Dad did mention sometime that it was a past Grandmother's maiden name.

I was born in England and living in South of England these last 20-odd years but still visit Portrush (just up the road from Coleraine) a few times a year - was last there three weeks ago.

I've got copy of Grandfather Moon's birth Certificate and marriage Certificate somewhere and will check his birthday etc., but he married a Jenny Graham - sorry can't remember the dates at present but as I say will dig out the Certificates and can copy if you interested?

Best Wishes
Jim Moon

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living people in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline tofrek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim
Your Grandfather James Moon was my Grandfather's brother.  Robert McNeill Moon was my Grandfather(b.1893).  He left Ireland in 1927 and came to Ontario, Canada.  He passed away in 1967. I would very much like to talk with you further. Please let me know via personal message if that is alright with you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Should also have added that new members usually need to make 3 posts before using PM system.