Author Topic: moon family  (Read 8835 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: moon family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 10:43 GMT (UK) »
StaciaSmith- you probably have quite a bit of information on the Doughertys but I do have information on him including a writeup & photos of Gold Medal Prize from Queens that he was awarded in 1865 (it came up for sale a few years ago) if you are interested.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline StaciaSmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey,

I would love the information about the Dougherty family! I may have to do a few more posts before you can message me.

Do you have the children of Daniel Moon, or of Archibald Moon, or any McSparron information? Do you have a public tree, or know of any good public trees with this information, or of records / sources? I will do some more digging in British Newspaper Archives to see if I can find anything there as well.

Wondering if Daniel Moon's wife was a McSparron. That would create the link - if Archibald Dougherty was son of a Dougherty and his wife was a Moon, daughter of a McSparron, or perhaps Mrs. Daniel Moon aka born McSparron, it'd make Archibald's sons about second cousins to James Thomas moon's children.

As part of my quest...I am also interested in figuring out what churches were in the Magilligan area - Catholic, Church of Ireland, and Presbyterian - and which Dougherty ministers connected with which.
For example, I have found references to many ministers in the 1840s with the Dougherty / Doherty / etc. surname but it's a bit of a web. For example, these attended the 1849 funeral of the Bishop of Derry Rev. Dr. Maginn:
Rev. John Dougherty PP Banagher
Rev. George Dougherty PP Moville
Rev. Edward O'Dougherty Magilligan
Rev James O'Dougherty PP Errigle

If anyone can help me with the names of specific churches of Magilligan in 1800-1840 - church name, religion, location...I'd like to piece together, for each church, their ministers during those times (and any director/birth/marriage/death records) and see if I can place my "rector Dougherty" or O'Dougherty at one of them! (the father of my Archibald Dougherty and his mysterious mother, possibly a McSparron).

Many thanks to you, Aghadowey, and fellow family researchers, for all your help!
Stacia
DOUGHTERY - Looking for Rector Dougherty of Magilligan born before 1795, father of Archibald Dougherty m. Martha Matilda Brown.

BROWN - Ancestors of Rev. James Brown, First Presbyterian Church of Garvagh

BORLAND - Ancestors of Elizabeth Borland, wife of John Adams

ADAMS - Ancestors of John Adams (~1745-~1810), flax grower and linen manufacturer, husband of Elizabeth Borland

Offline StaciaSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 20:10 GMT (UK) »
In addition to the Moon / McSparron link to the Dougherty family, I am wondering if there is an Archibald link as well. Have been finding DNA matches to Archibalds, but I think they are taking me further back to Scotland. Does anyone know if there were Archibalds in the area where the Moons were living, or any marriages between these families? I found just one Londonderry marriage of a Moon &  Archibald:

Name Elizabeth Archibald
Spouse John Moon (widow)
Father Thomas Archibald
Marriage    12 Mar 1857 Errigal, Derry, Ireland

I believe this was John Moon b. abt. 1829, son of John Moon (no dates), and Elizabeth Archibald (b. abt. 1832), dau of Thomas Archibald.
These are (at least some of) their children:
Elizabeth (1864-?)
John (1866-1957) m. Margaret McCulloch
Alexander (1870-?)
Mary Jane (1880-?) m. David Deveney

I'm not sure how or if they fit into the tree further up (Archibald / Moon)
DOUGHTERY - Looking for Rector Dougherty of Magilligan born before 1795, father of Archibald Dougherty m. Martha Matilda Brown.

ADAMS - Ancestors of John Adams (~1745-~1810), flax grower and linen manufacturer, husband of Elizabeth Borland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick reply with a comment about DNA matches. It's unlikely you will find a close Moon match.
Archibald Moon & Mary Thomas of Ballydevitt had 5 known children-
- Daniel Moon, died age 5
- Eliza Thomas Moon m. Rev. James McMath & had 13 children- most died in infancy, early childhood or as young adults- none of the surviving children married or had family
- James Thomas Moon m. Rebecca Kidd Millar & had 5 children- none married see next post
- Daniel McSparron Moon, died age 28, no wife or children known
- Nettie Moon, unmarried

There were, at one time, lots of Moon families in this area and even more Archibald families.

John Moon (c1829-1909) married 1st Mary Jane Heaney (1 daughter Mary Jane) then 2nd Elizabeth "Betty" Archibald- their children- George, Alexander, Elizabeth, John, Alexander & possibly another Alexander.
This John Moon was the son of George Moon* or Clarehill & Nancy.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1848/09346/5384004.pdf
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1857/09527/5453468.pdf
Another daughter of George Moon*, Margaret, married Alexander Archibald.

Most of the local families intermarried and it can be difficult to sort them out just by looking at online records.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 March 22 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Correction to above post-
James Thomas Moon m. Rebecca Kidd Millar & had 5 children- none married
I've discovered that eldest son James Thomas Moon married in England & had a daughter (born, probably in N.I. since no trace in English indexes, less than 100 years ago). She in turn married just after WWII and had 2 daughters.

Have also discovered you've a family tree on Family Search for the Ballydevitt family which is a bit muddled. I've not put one on there so perhaps easy to click the wrong box or something. In any case, James Thomas Moon, Jr. was born 1886 at Cullycapple to it was his father who died in 1934 (and not 1834 as in tree). "Superintendent of Black Works and Farmer" should be Bleach Works in 1901. Daniel McSparron Moon was the son of Archibald Moon but have not come across a brother of Archibald's with the same name (or indeed any other brother so far).
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/G34K-B4H

Still going through my files so that I have all the details on Moons, Archibald, etc. that might connect.

Offline StaciaSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 05 March 22 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey,
Thanks for your response. I corrected the FamilySearch tree. Thanks for letting me know. I think that was my first attempt and I mixed up the son and father with the same name.

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Stacia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 March 22 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I've been putting all the notes I have for Moons in Aghadowey area and it's 32 pages so far (I'm still added information) but we have a bigger problem with a DNA match to your father which I can't explain!

Offline StaciaSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey, You personally have a dna match with my father? Or you do NOT have a match? I think you can PM met now. Stacia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I sent you a PM on Monday but maybe you haven't seen it yet? Your father and I don't share any DNA but my husband and a friend do.