Author Topic: moon family  (Read 8834 times)

Offline Portrush

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: moon family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 08:59 GMT (UK) »
No prob's I'm new to this www site and will have look at PM this morning, maybe have to post a few "standard" e-mails as the Moderator sez before can access PM.

Few more thoughts, my Grandfather had six children:

James, Margaret, Christina, Graham, Elizabeth and Geoffrey - Geoffrey died at a few months old and his Mother Jenny about a year later. The others apart from Dad are still around.  Margaret in Scotland, Christina & Elizabeth not far from Coleraine and Graham moved to Queensland to retire after about thirty years in Australian Army with home in Sydney.

These are the only Moon's I know, although there was one of Grandads brothers (Think was called Hugh??) who's second wife died only this year - my Mother knows of them through friends of freinds of the Walking Club, but haven't met.

There's the Graham side of the family from Portrush and again in early March this year the last of Grandmothers "age group" passed away at 90 and apart from her Daughter there's no Graham's left in Portrush - same as Moon's in Coleraine apart from one who commutes there.

ATVB

Jim

Offline Portrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 09:21 GMT (UK) »
One other bit I meant to add, you say your Grandfather came to Canada in 1927, well don't know if you aware but my Grandfather came to Canada in "Late 1920's" for a few years - he worked as carpenter on Canadian Pacific Railroads according to Dad.  He returned to Coleraine in about 1930 or 1931, so don't know if the two brothers went out to Canada together?

As I say "Grandad Moon" as we called him, died in 1972 in Ballymoney and is buried in Coleraine Cemetry - but have to admit I haven't visited in years, Mum & Dad normally went up twice a year - until this year anyway.

ATVB

Jim

Offline rob elliott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Jim,
For your information, if you don't already know.
Your grandfather, Jim's, army service record is available on Ancestry Uk. In the pensions section.
He served with the 10th Inniskillings, being an original member, volunteering in September 1914.
Unfortunately [or more probably fortunately] he had a recurring problem with his leg that caused him to be held back from going to France with the battalion, but he was eventually sent out in Autumn 1916, but had further problems and was sent home and discharged.
I have him on a database for the 10th Inniskillings.
The history of this unit came out last year, it is a very good read.
There will be a picture of 'C' company that he would have belonged too and although of good quality may be too difficult to pick him out. He should be in this photograpgh.

For general 'Moon' info there was an Officer in this battalion, William John Kidd Moon from Aghadowey.

Rob

Offline tofrek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Thak you to Aghadowey for bending the P.M. rules a bit for us. And to Rob for providing info. regarding James Moon's military service. I knew that James had come to Canada in 1921 from passenger lists. The rest of your info. is new to me regarding his employment etc. I have sent a personal message to you Jim,  and look forward to your reply. At long last a tiny hole in the "brick wall".

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, but haven't bent any rules for you. Usually need 3 posts to use PM system but sometimes you can receive 1 PM before that I think.
Capt. William John Kidd Moon (13 Jan.1888 Fairmount, Aghadowey-20 July 1948) was the son of James Thomas Moon (superintendent Ballydevitt Bleach Works) and his wife Rebecca Kidd Millar, of Ballydevitt. This Moon family originally from Lisnamuck and no connection to your Moons.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Portrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Rob, yes remember my Dad saying something about Granddad being kept "Home Service" due to some re-occuring illness.  Funnily enough he eneded up in Dublin during Easter 1916 due to the sickness and saw quite a bit of action on the streets of Dublin with the uprising.  Dad mentioned once that Grandad had two hand grenades (explosive and fuses removed) which he used to take apart and put back together - ex-Dublin Uprising grenades and that during the uprising one of the soldiers still had grenade in his hand after patrol but had trown away the pin, to which the sergent took a panel pin from a broken window and replaced it in the grenade.  His service over in France was only three months I think, but think he got more kudos of being in Dublin during Easter 1916....

Now what became of the deactivated grenades I've no idea.

Again thanks & ATVB As Always,

Jim Moon

Offline Robert Richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 December 14 18:02 GMT (UK) »

View Profile

Email

(Also posted in Moon family from Ardkill)
Looking for information on my grandfather John Caldwell Clements and his connection to the Moon family. The only info I have is that James Moon was listed as his cousin on the ships (S.S. Camaronia) manifest when he visited in October of 1922. My grandfather listed Main street  Clogher, Tyrone County as his last permanent residence in Ireland and his residence in the U.S. was Gutenberg, New Jersey. the James Moon he visited was listed as Eskernabrogue, Clogher, Tyrone County. Any info is appreciated as I cannot trace the Clements back to Tyrone and there seems to be more info on the Moons in this area. I have also have identified connections with the Cauley's in Ballinrees, Macosquin

Offline StaciaSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 February 22 23:03 GMT (UK) »

Capt. William John Kidd Moon (13 Jan.1888 Fairmount, Aghadowey-20 July 1948) was the son of James Thomas Moon (superintendent Ballydevitt Bleach Works) and his wife Rebecca Kidd Millar, of Ballydevitt. This Moon family originally from Lisnamuck and no connection to your Moons.

Hello all,

I was interested to find this string. I am looking for the ancestry of the Moons of Ballydevitt, Aghivey, Co. Londonderry. I believe James Thomas Moon (b. abt. 1855, d. 1934) or his wife Rebecca Kidd Miller (Millar?) to be distant relatives. If anyone knows about this family or would like to connect, please contact me.

I have been searching for the parents of my gggg grandfather Dr. Archibald Doughery for years. He was born in abt. 1815, possibly Co. Londonderry. He was a surgeon in Garvagh, Co. Londonderry in the 1840s. He married in 1844, in Garvagh, Co. Londonderry, my gggg grandmother Matilda "Martha" Brown, daughter of Rev. James Brown, who was minister of First Presbyterian Church of Garvagh for many years. They married at the Brown's home. I can't find a record of the marriage other than a newspaper announcement.

Archibald and Martha Brown Dougherty had two sons, in late 1844 and 1846. Their son John Bones Dougherty is my ggg grandfather. John's daughter Mary Bones Dougherty m. Mell is my gg grandmother. In 1927 after her father John died, Mary Bones Dougherty Mell wrote to her uncle, James Brown Dougherty, back in Ireland, asking about her heritage on the Dougherty side. James had stayed back in Ireland, became a Presbyterian minister, a professor, and later MP. James replied to his niece, my gg grandmother Mary, that his grandfather, Archibald's father, was a rector in Magilligan, and that his ancestors before that, O'Dougherty, were from Co. Donegal. He said the only relatives left, so far as he knew, "...are two second cousins named MOON. One of them is a well-to-do gentleman residing at Ballydevitt, and formally connected with the linen business of (WS?) Adams. A great friend, as you may have heard, of Uncle Bones (see below for more on John Bones*)...His brother is a solicitor in Coleraine. A member of a highly respectable firm which my son Gerald (note: son Gerald was an attorney) may know..." James also mentions that Archibald was, he thinks, an only son and that he had three sisters, at least. The sisters were all dead by 1927.

Here is a link to Archibald - I've been tracking his life through letters and newspaper articles but my trail runs out at his parents. But Archibald left a trove of recommendation letters from his job search which I have been trying to document, in order to figure out his connections and his parents. Many of these letters are in the pictures section below:
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/152635374/person/342028105319/facts

In looking into the Moon family, James Thomas Moon (c.1855-1834) has three sons, and it appears that his sons fit these descriptions perhaps.
James Thomas Moon (1886-?) was an attorney
Daniel Christopher Stuart Patterson "Christopher" Moon (1890-1921) was possibly a solicitor / attorney (listed in 1911 census as Solicitor's Apprentice)
William John Kidd Moon (1888-1848) was in the linen trade

I am trying to link the Moons/Millers to the Dougherty family. I would like to share tree and any other information you may have about Aghadowey / Ballydevitt / Donegal with relation to Dougherty / McSparran (possibly Archibald's mother's surname but my dna does not reflect this surname), Speer, or anything else related! I do match many, many Doherty / O'Doherty / Docherty / O'Docharteigh cousins but none which I have placed in Magilligan, or Doughertys with three daughters, etc.

I would like to connect with anyone who can give me some clues as to Moons / Milllers / Doughertys in Magilligan (and trees), a Dougherty who was a Rector in Magilligan (I think this could mean a Church of Ireland rector?); what churches are in Magilligan during the 1805-1825 period for Church of Ireland, or Presbyterian, congregants which I might research; I had a note from somewhere that Archibald's mother could be a McSparran but the dna does not point to this - Were McSparrons or McSparrons in Magilligan or Donegal that could link us to them; or anything else that you think could be of use in documenting these family members.

My father has posted DNA in several places as well as GEDMatch, and I can share those details with you if you contact me as well.

Many thanks!
DOUGHTERY - Looking for Rector Dougherty of Magilligan born before 1795, father of Archibald Dougherty m. Martha Matilda Brown.

BROWN - Ancestors of Rev. James Brown, First Presbyterian Church of Garvagh

BORLAND - Ancestors of Elizabeth Borland, wife of John Adams

ADAMS - Ancestors of John Adams (~1745-~1810), flax grower and linen manufacturer, husband of Elizabeth Borland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Just came across your post this now but my husband and I were just talking about Christopher Moon yesterday.
The Moons did live in Ballydevitt in Aghadowey Parish (not Agivey) but earlier were in nearby Lisnamuck townland.

James Thomas Moon was the son of Archibald Moon (c1816-1866) & Mary Thomas. Archobald Moon was the son of Daniel Moon (c1783-9 Nov.1849) of Lisnamuck.

James Thomas Moon's wife was Rebecca Kidd Millar- they married in Philadelphia but she was from Co. Londonderry (I think Ardverness outside Coleraine).

James Thomas Moon had the 3 sons you mention (James Thomas, William John Kidd, Daniel Christopher Stewart Patterson) as well as 2 daughter who never married & died in the 1970s (Mary Ethel, Gladys Helen)

There certain was some sort of connection to McSparrons (either by blood, marriage of friendship) as Archibald Moon named one of his sons Daniel McSparron (eldest son Daniel died young and I haven't seen a middle name for him).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!