Author Topic: Help with High Church GlasgowCOMPLETED.  (Read 12326 times)

Offline Maisie Egger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with High Church GlasgowCOMPLETED.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 September 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
Well, thank you for your reply.   The marriage certificate for my forebears indicates that the marriage was conducted according to the forms of the Church of Scotland.  This was in 1873.  I suppose I'll have to research to find out when the "Wee Free" and the United Presbyterians did or did not join forces with the C of S.  If memory serves me correctly, I think the United Free denomination is still autonomous.

I made an error in location, the two churches were off Whitehill Street and Armadale St.
which was a continuation of Whitevale St.,,  Yet another church was on Whitevale St. "in front" of Bathgate St,  Three churches, then, at Roslea/Whitehill;  Roslea and Armadale, and another church at Whitevale (in front of) Bathgate St.

In looking at this map page I count at least 10 churches in the grid covering Dennistoun, Bridgeton and Camlachie.  I wonder how many are still viable.

Again, thank you for your reply.

Maisie

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 September 10 21:50 BST (UK) »
Few of the churches remained viable and several combined their congregations ... I think the latest is the Dennistoun Trinity Church ... although its been a few years since I have carried out any work in that area.

In 1847 the Secession Church and the Relief Church combined to become the United Presbyterian Church.

In 1900 the Free Church joined with the United Presbyterian Church to become the United Free Church.

A minority did not join that group and continue today as the Free Church of Scotland.

In 1929 the United Free Church rejoined the Established Church (the Church of Scotland). A minority didn't go into that union and continue today as the United Free Church.

As these congregations split they each built their own church buildings (in some cases trying to outdo the existing buildings) which has led to the glut of church buildings in some areas.

Offline Kaz4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 March 21 22:19 GMT (UK) »
According to a marriage certificate I have on Scotland’s people which states
According to the forms of the free church 36 whitevale street
My 3x Great grandparents where married there in dec 1873
This research is pretty cool
And hi everyone I’m just new to roots today
Karen

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 March 21 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

At 36 Whitevale St, the 1871 census showed a Rev James Finlay, Minister Of Camlachie Free Church  living there with his family. He shows still there on the 1875 Valuation Rolls. A Rev John Hamond shows there in the next online Valuation Rolls of 1885.

Just for background here:

Camlachie Free Church, later Whitevale

History—
The church of Camlachie was vacant at the Disruption but the congregation “came out”. They continued to worship in the church, where they were joined for a time by the Free Church people from Shelleston, until deprived of it in 1849. Then they met in Camlachie schoolroom while their own church in the Gallowgate was being built. It was opened in 1850. A house at Whitevale was gifted by Mr. John Brown for a manse. In 1880 church hall and vestry were added. In 1890 the old manse was sold and the proceeds applied towards purchase of a new manse in Broompark Terrace. The church was several times renovated and improved. Active mission work has always been carried on. This was known as Camlachie Free Church till about 1879 when the name was changed to Whitevale.
Membership: 1848, 250; 1900, 500.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Family History Library Film #918572. More details may be given in the source including a list of ministers.

Records—                    Years            FHL Film Number
Deacons Court Minutes  1844–1856     1485042 item 2

www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Glasgow_Free_Presbyterian_Churches

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk