Author Topic: Chapel Place, Austerfield  (Read 1548 times)

Offline StephenAndrews1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Chapel Place, Austerfield
« on: Friday 11 September 09 11:19 BST (UK) »

Good afternoon to the list,

I have been given an old address of 4 Chapel Place, Austerfield. Can anyone tell me whether it still exists or if not where in Austerfield it was?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen Andrews
Martin, Arrowsmith, Lambert, Lemon, Colton, Sheppard, Hutchinson, Rowe, Tong, Lewis, Notts, Yorks, Flint.

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chapel Place, Austerfield
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 09 12:33 BST (UK) »
I would think this is next to the parish church which was built as a Chapel of Ease.
There were certainly houses right next to the church when I visited there but can't remember the exact address or age of the buildings. There is an Austerfield site and loads of old photos of Austerfield if you google images. 

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 09 23:38 BST (UK) »
I see that you have posted in Nottinghamshire, I don't know about earlier times but nowadays it is in Yorkshire.

Austerfield is just outside Bawtry in Sth Yorkshire, probably comes under Doncaster.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline StephenAndrews1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 09 07:05 BST (UK) »

Hi Denn,

Thanks for your message. Yes, I know that physically it is and probably always has been in Yorkshire WR but 'genealogically' it tends to come under Nottinghamshire as it was formerly part of the parish of Blyth. Most of the records etc. are at Notts Archive and it formerly came under the diocese of Southwell.

Thanks again,

Stephen

Martin, Arrowsmith, Lambert, Lemon, Colton, Sheppard, Hutchinson, Rowe, Tong, Lewis, Notts, Yorks, Flint.

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 September 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
Yes its part of the manor of Blyth which was De Busli's manor which strides the 2 counties. I have loads of relatives who lived in this area and were sometimes in Nottinghamshire and sometimes Yorkshire and only moved half a mile either way.