Author Topic: COURTNAGE family, Lurgashall/Bepon  (Read 21307 times)

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: COURTNAGE family, Lurgashall/Bepon
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

Welcome to Rootschat :D

Lesley and Anna seem to have missed your post in February but hopefully will pick up your today's posts and let you know whether they think you are connected to their families, which does seem likely to me.

I have to confess to being a wee bit confused as to who is who in your posts.

I take it you are working back from William Frederick is that right? and you believe his father to be William born 1826 and his grandfather is James born 1802 but then you are unclear yes?

Where were all these people born please  and do you have them on any census other than 1881? And where does Daniel come in to it?

regards

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Neil6534

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan, thanks for the response...sorry to the confusion, I'll try and be more specific.

I can confirm that William Frederick (Frederick William) Courtnage b1877 is my 2x GF,
his father is William b1826 in Worplesdon,
his father is James b1802 Leatherhead,
his  father John b1759 Fernhurst,  married Hannah Clifton,
his  father is John b1726, married Sarah Bridger
So I just need to confirm that the above is correct and if there are any relatives earlier than 1726.

As for Daniel, he is not a direct blood line relative but I am trying to trace all male Courtnages to get a full picture and unearth any interesting stories.
So for Daniel I have;
Daniel b1826 Farnham
his father Henry b1806 or there abouts in Headley - his wife Charlotte Trussler
his father - well this is where I get a bit confused as there are a few potential matches that could be the one - its been suggested that his father was also a Henry

I also have a Henry Courtnage born 1798 in Leatherhead , parents John Courtnage and Hannah Clifton, I thought this may have been Henry b1806 father but obviously thats just impossible.

I do have other questions about other family members but I'll leave it at that for now.

Many thanks
Interested in Courtnage and Spearman from the Surrey area

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

I'll have a look at all this this evening or tomorrow and see if I can help at all

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Neil6534

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there Jan,
It is very kind of you to offer to check that marriage. I did actually email the Sussex Record Office about it, but they have not come back to me as yet.
I have also had quite a lengthy correspondence with the PRTSociety and been able to separate a couple of Courtnage families in Farnhurst/Lurgashall.
There can be no doubt that there are 2 families with a John Courtnege as the head. The first family I have is John Courtnege as the Father of:
William 1744 appears in both Farnhurst & Lurgahsall registers
Elizabeth 1745 Farnhurst
Mary 1748        Farnhurst
Thomas 1749   Farnhurst
John 1759        Farnhurst
The Mother of these 5 does not appear.

My John Courtnage who married Sarah Bridger in 1755 in Farnhurst was one of 4 siblings, including himself as follows: His parents were Henry Courntey Courtnage & Hannah Courtnage.

Mary 1732 Farnhurst
Henry 1735 Farnhurst
John 1738   Farnhurst (who married Sarah Bridger)
Ann 1741

I think that stupid marriage entry for 2nd October 1727 with no wife mentioned is a very strong contender. I also think that this Henry and John Courtnege having the children named in family 1 are potential Brothers.
Now the strange thing is that the only marriage I can find for a Henry Courtney to a Hannah is found in London. There is a Henry Courtnage who married Hannah Cox on 8th January 1832 at St.Martin in the fields, Westminster, London.  I am told by the Sussex Record Office that this was a very fashionable place to get married during this period of time.
Is it possible that John'sparents married here, moved into Farnhurst then had Mary 2 months later in 1732? I guess anything is possible.

The children born to my John Courtnage who married Sarah Bridger are:
Sara 1757 Farnhurst
Ann 1765 Farnhurst -she died: April 1766 aged 7 months
Henry 1768, baptised Hary (My x 5 GGGGGF) Farnhurst
Thomas 1755 Farnhurst
There is also a burial mentioned in the Farnhurst Register for Thomas on the 19th February 1775. No age is given and no parents mentioned.  However, I do not believe this is Henrys Brother above as when Henry married Sarah Mitchell ,Thomas witnessed his marriage so it must be the Thomas born in 1749 to the other John Courtnege.
A lot of information to take in Jan, but if you put it on paper its much easier to read.  I would love to be right, but more importantly, I want to be accurate.
Still miserable weather in Wales -haven't seen the sun in nearly two weeks now.

Regards, Lesley
Thomas 1755 Lurgashall

Hi Lesley, I too have linked to John Courtnage & Sarah Bridger. Now I dont have the children for them that you have listed but I do have a John Courtnage baptised 11 Nov 1759 born in Farnhurst, father listed as John, mother not listed. But it stands to reason that this John is also the son of John snr, being that he would also name his first son by his first name. What do you think?

Neil

Offline cardiffbay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Neil,
I hope I can help you back from Daniel Courtnage. Today the family spell their name Courtney. Daniel Courtnage was my husband's Greeat Great Grandfather.
Daniel married Francis Kewell. They had 11 children. Included in the 11 are a set of twins. Daniel may have been born in the latter part of 1825, but was batpised on the 15th January 1826 at Headley, in Hampshire. In 1881, one of Daniel's other children Henry was a serving Stoker on HMS "Jumma".
Daniel's parents were Henry Coutnage and Charotte Trussler. They married on 4th December 1824 at Frensham in Surrey.
Daniel was one of 6 known children.
Daniel's Father Henry was one of 7 known children; Charlotte, Sarah, Henry*, Harriet, Ann, Charles and Shadrack. Shadrack was the ultimate criminal and was sent to Tasmania on a prison ship where he ended up in what was then known as Van Diemans Land. I have a full history of him.
Henry's parents( Grandparents of Daniel) were Henry Courtngae and Sarah Mitchell.  This Henry married twice. Sarah was his first wife who sadly died when little Shadrack was only 16 months old, leaving Henry with 7 children to care for. His Son Henry was only 13. Henry and Sarah married on the 19th June 1793 in Kridford, Sussex.  Obviously, Henry simply could not manage and he re married two years later to Charlotte Hounsome on the 13th July 1816 at Bepton in Sussex.
Henry and Charlotte had 8 children together; Eliza, John, George, James, Daniel, Catharine, Caroline and Eleanor, sometimes known as Emily. Altogether he fathered some 15 children, so we have a situation where 1 children have the same Father, but different Mother's i.e. half siblings to each other.
Henry was 21 years the senior of Charlotte, and Henry died aged 87 years and is buried in Headly, Hampshire.  He is recorded as having come from "Arford".
Twice married Henry was baptised on the 21st February 1768 in Farnhurst. His parents were John Courtnage and Sarah Bridger.They had 5 known children.
Sarah, John, Ann, Henry* and Thomas. John and Sarah married on 6th February 1755 in Farnhurst, Sussex- today known as Fernhurst.
John's parents were Henry Courtnage and Hannah (possibly Cliffton). Henry and Hannah had 6 known children; Elizbeth, Jane, Mary, Henry, John* and Ann.
Married circa 1720. The earliest recorded Henry Courtney  I have, is for a baptism on 11th August 1593 in Richmond Surrey.
The Courtney family historically flow from the Earldom of Devon. A digression of the Families of Redvers and Courtenay.
The first Courtenay on record was "Atho" a French Knight, universally admitted to have been nameless origin, who built at castle in Courtenay, a small town in the Gatenoise, sixty miles from Paris, early in the eleventh century, and took his name from his residence.  His elder Grandson, Milo, was certainly Lord of Courtenay whilst Josceline, the first Count of Edessa whose territory extended on both sides of the Euphrates river, was, as certainly, a younger Brother of the said Milo.
I have a huge history on the origins of the name and have a good collection of Census Returns back to 18411 and beyond that many church extractions concerning the main bloodline, of which my husband Leon is a direct descendent.
I hope this has been of some help to you Neil, and if I can help any further, I certainly will.

Kind Regards

Lesley

Offline Neil6534

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 26 April 12 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi and many thanks for the info you have given. I am ever so slightly confused though.
You state that Henrys parents were John Courtnage and Sarah Bridger and then you state that Johns Parents were Henry Courtnage and Hannah Clifton. This is contradictory to the information I have gained. Unless I am totally mistaken the pedigree goes something like this;
Henry Courtnage married Hannah Cox - Henry was born sometime around 1700
His son was John Courtnage b1726 married Sarah Bridger married in 1755
His son was John Courtnage b1759 married Hannah Clifton married in 1786

Henry Courtnage born about 1700 had 6 children;
Elizabeth b1720
Jane 1723
Mary 1732
Henry 1735*
Ann 1741
John 1726**
Ann 1741

John Courtnage b 1759 had 9 Children;
William b1786
Sarah b1789
John b1791
Thomas b1794
Reuben b1796
Henry b1798*
James b1802**
Mary Ann b1804
Charles b1807

** relates to my direct bloodline
* these are the Henrys I am very confused about - which one is Daniels pedigree? Could you give me a break down as per above.

I have seen the details of Shadrach, so will definitely be looking into this.

I also have a potential link to the Romany Gypsy's at this time - will give more info on this when I can.

I am also waiting for info on my Grandfather -= Frank Courtnage - as he is potentially one of the first original members of the SAS and SBS - how much info I will get from the MOD is yet to be seen.

I will read you reply again later today just in-case my tiredness is leading me astray.

Regards

Neil

Offline Neil6534

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 26 April 12 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi and many thanks for the info you have given. I am ever so slightly confused though.
You state that Henrys parents were John Courtnage and Sarah Bridger and then you state that Johns Parents were Henry Courtnage and Hannah Clifton. This is contradictory to the information I have gained. Unless I am totally mistaken the pedigree goes something like this;

Elizabeth b1720
Jane 1723
Mary 1732
Henry 1735*
Ann 1741
John 1726**
Ann 1741

William b1786
Sarah b1789
John b1791
Thomas b1794
Reuben b1796
Henry b1798*
James b1802**
Mary Ann b1804
Charles b1807

* these are the Henrys I am very confused about - which one is Daniels pedigree? Could you give me a break down as per above.

I also have a potential link to the Romany Gypsy's at this time - will give more info on this when I can.

I am also waiting for info on my Grandfather -= Frank Courtnage - as he is potentially one of the first original members of the SAS and SBS - how much info I will get from the MOD is yet to be seen.

I will read you reply again later today just in-case my tiredness is leading me astray.

Regards

Neil

Knew I was tired as I got the pedigree wrong - I missed out that John Courtnage b1726 had approx 6 children;
Sarah b1757
John b1759*
Ann b1765
William b1744
Mary b1748
Thomas b1749**

This pedigree should have been between Henry b1700 and John b1759

* John is my bloodline
** Thomas has potential links to the Romany Gypsy's

Hope I havent confused anyone

Online janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 26 April 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
Neil

Do you have census entries for your family? If not I'll see if I can spot any of them - can be tricky due to multiple spellings.

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline cardiffbay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 27 April 12 07:08 BST (UK) »

Elizabeth b1720
Jane 1723
Mary 1732
Henry 1735*
Ann 1741
John 1726**
Ann 1741

William b1786
Sarah b1789
John b1791
Thomas b1794
Reuben b1796
Henry b1798*
James b1802**
Mary Ann b1804
Charles b1807

Regards

Neil