Author Topic: Hogan / McInerney from Borrisoleigh  (Read 10273 times)

Offline yaboo22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hogan / McInerney from Borrisoleigh
« on: Friday 11 September 09 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am searching information regarding John Hogan, son of Rody Hogan and Mary Kennedy from Borrisoleigh.  Rody and Mary died when John was quite young, and so he was raised by his uncle, Matthew Hogan.  John emigrated to Victoria, Australia sometime in the 1850's.  He possibly had a brother Patrick who married a Johanna Ryan.

John became a gold miner in Eganstown, Victoria (named after John Egan, also from Borrisoleigh.  John Hogan married Johanna McInerney.

Johanna was born in Melbourne in 1853, to Joseph McInerney and Ellen Connors.  Joseph was native to Tippereary (town not known).  Joseph and his brother Patrick were both convicts, arriving in NSW in 1829 aboard Eliza 2.  They were sentenced to life for manslaughter.  Their parents were Stephen McInerney and Bridget Foley.  It is believed that Ellen Connors was an Irish famine Orphan, arribving in Melbourne aboard the Pemberton in 1849.  Her parents were Patrick Connors and Johanna Brown, also from Tipperary.

Any contact with other family members would be most appreciated.

Offline kangajaro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hogan / McInerney from Borrisoleigh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi to you,
I have been researching my family in the Eganstown.  I come from Irish families in Borrisoleigh in Ireland (Kennedy, Fitzpatrick, Delaney, Hogan) and I think there may be some connection from what you have written.  I have a few documents on my desk which may be relevant to your journey.
Information on Ryans/Hogans
You reported:
•   Patrick Hogan, and John Hogan, Convicts NSW in 1829 aboard the Eliza 2 Ship. Sentenced to life for manslaughter.
•   Patrick and John Hogans parents were Stephen McInerney and Bridget Foley
•   Patrick Hogan ( died -3rd of April, 1878, aged 50 years, buried Eganstown RC Cemetery, Eganstown, near Creswick)
•   married Johanna Ryan
•   John Hogan, married  Johanna Ryan (both are buried at the Eganstown Cemetery, John died 21st of May, 1905, aged 72 years, and Johanna on the 7th of January, 1905, aged 51 years).
•   Mary Hogan, daughter, died 14th of April, 1911, aged 22
•   Joseph, son, 14th August, 1881, aged 7 years
•   Thomas Hogan, died Muskvale, 21st of September, 1929
•   Elizabeth Hogan, wife of Thomas, died 13th of January, 1942
•   Michael Hogan of Muskvale, died 22nd November, 1970, aged 82 years.
In regards to Patrick and John being convicts, this may not be the case.
I am currently trying to find out a bit more about our connection with the Hogans, Ryans, Kennedys, Kellys etc Irish families who came to the Mt Prospect, Eganstown, Creswick area in the 1850’s.  A theory I am following is that many young Irish went to England to find work etc as Ireland had the potato famine. In England many Irish people met up and came to Australia together. On the ship the David Mc Iver, 1853 young families were given assistance to come to the colony. The McIver has several people who are likely to be connected from Borrisoleigh in Ireland.
Check out the ship log for assisted passengers into NSW   (David McIver ship, 1853) which has the following passengers listed:
John Ryan, 28 and wife
Patrick Ryan, 23 and family
Patrick Ryan dv inft and family
James Ryan, 24
Catherine Ryan 20 and husband
Mary Ryan 20 and family
The 1869 Victorian Post Office directory (Deep Creek, County of Talbot) shows that:
•   Patrick Hogan was a miner at Blanket Flat, mining site, Eganstown area,
•   Patrick Ryan, Miner, Blanket Flat,
•   John Ryan, Butcher, Blanket Flat
No McInerneys listed, no Foleys
Also see: Phil Cleary, radio/tv commentator family tree site as he is related to different people in the Mt Prospect/Eganstown area and maybe to some of your relatives:  http://www.philcleary.com.au
My relatives have some connection to Upper Church, Borrisoleigh  Ireland and the Hogans may have been from Fantane if we are speaking about the same Ryans.  See information below:
Patrick Kennedy married Catherine (Kitty) Hogan, of an adjacent parish Fantane in Borrisoleigh on the 10th of February 1819 and she died after Patrick in Ireland in 1870. At the time of their wedding Patrick was listed being from Upper Church and Kitty was from Fantane. The families remained in the same town for many years, with links there today.
These people are my great, great, great grandparents.
Borrisoleigh community in Ireland also have a community website where you may pick up some connections. Borrisoleigh.ie
way.
Cheers Rose

Offline yaboo22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rose,

Thanks for your detailed reply, however you have confused some of my original information.  I have not stated that John and Patrick Hogan were convicts.  John Hogan and Patrick Hogan arrived as free men.  Their parents were Rody and Mary Hogan.  Patrick died at yabba yabba, not Eganstown.   Both brothers married women named Johanna - John married Johanna McInerney (they remained at Eganstown); Patrick married Johanna Ryan (raised family at Yabba Yabba; after Patrick died, Johanna moved to Matong, NSW)

It is Joseph McInerney who l thought may be a convict.  Brothers Joseph and Patrick McInerney were sentenced for life on charges of manslaughter.  I haven't established if this Joseph McInerney is the same person related to me.

I don't believe that the Hogans that l am related to, arrived as early as 1853.  Patrick Hogan didn't arrive until 1867-68.  That is most likely him that you found on the Post Office index.  Where did you source this?  Patrick and Johanna's first son, Rody, was born in ireland.

Offline kangajaro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 09 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Sorry if I got excited another person connected to Eganstown in some way!!! Yes detailed response at had books on desk at time of reading your comment.

Try looking up resources held Victorian State Library, Victorian Public Records or National library. They have electoral rolls from ceratin periods and post office directories.

Good luck with finding more about the Hogans.

Cheers

Rose

Offline Kim_May

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 March 10 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rose,

Im also connected to the Fitzpatrick's of Borrisoleigh. Perhaps we have a connection. Michael Fitzpatrick married Mary Kathleen Ryan 1833. But she moved to Australia with her sons John and Stephen and I guess this was after her hubby died.
Any connection?
All the best,
Kim

Offline kangajaro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 July 10 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Sorry to take sometime to respond. I am unsure about whether there is a connection with your information. Did Michael Fitzpatrick go to Australia? Was he living near Eganstown?

Cheers

Rose

Offline kangajaro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

John Hogan was a miner at Eganstown and died on the 21st of March, 1905. He had two known sons- Roderick who lived in Yarraville, Melbourne and John Hogan. The Will of John Hogan is available free and online from the Victorian Public REcords Office (File no: 97/486). It can be viewed in hardcopy the VPRO in North Melbourne.  The witnesses to the Will were John Egan (junior). John Egan Senior had died in the late 1890's and so could not have been a witness as the will was drawn up in March 1905. This may indicate that John had been sick leading up to his death. Another witness was Jeremiah Dwyer.
I will send through any other info. I may find.

Cheers
Rosemary

Offline kangajaro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 January 12 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Also try http://www.caligarihome.net/familyhistorypublic/1.htm This family may be related to you as has entries for Hogans.

Our Kennedy family is believed to be related to the Hogans. I am wondering what is known of Mary Kennedy. Mary was meant to be the sister of Timothy Kennedy who came to Eganstown area. Many Marys, just a process of elimination.

Cheers Rosemary

Offline Blackrocker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 January 12 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Rosemary
My interest is in Kennedys, Harringtons/Hingertys of the Templederry area in Tipperary - not that far from Borrisoleigh. Some of them may be buried in the Latteragh cemetery. I know that there is an Eganstown connection somewhere but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any knowledge of Kennedys/ Harringtons who may be from that part of Tipp.