Author Topic: WW1 uniforms - which one are NZ and Oz  (Read 10688 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 uniforms - which one are NZ and Oz
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 12 September 09 11:18 BST (UK) »
Umm,

I have just tried to find more about Arthur's service records at the naa.gov.au.  There's some that have not yet been digitised!!!  Perhaps they hold answers for Gwenn02.... 

JONES Arthur Philip - Service Number - 7034; Series number CP979/2; Control symbol1560; Contents date range 22 Apr 1920 - 17 Mar 1921

Access status Open Location Canberra Barcode 8111137 

I'm not sure if the NAA would charge to have these digitised, but I'm sure others following this thread would know that answer. 

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 September 09 11:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that

For arthur  I found some record (a blue card, 'petty officiers and men' ) very bad digitalization  :( ..

. I can"t make all the wording etc... It seems that Arthur the Aussie sailor was not wounded... Norman  the NZ army was wounded at the leg (I have his NZ record) and later gazed :-( 
Stanley another brother was wounded and amputated

very sad the 4 boys in the same family damaged by war

Umm,

I have just tried to find more about Arthur's service records at the naa.gov.au.  There's some that have not yet been digitised!!!  Perhaps they hold answers for Gwenn02.... 

JONES Arthur Philip - Service Number - 7034; Series number CP979/2; Control symbol1560; Contents date range 22 Apr 1920 - 17 Mar 1921

Access status Open Location Canberra Barcode 8111137 

I'm not sure if the NAA would charge to have these digitised, but I'm sure others following this thread would know that answer. 

Cheers,  JM

GILLIES (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   
MACRAE (ROC/Duirinish, Lochalsh/..);   
MCKENZIE (ROC/Applecross (Milton)/..);   
MCLENNAN  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MCLEOD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MOFFAT CUL/Alston, Penrith/..);
JONES (Menzies Ferry, NZ, Monmoutshire, Wales, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Australia)
McPike (Melbourne, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Derry)

Offline ruthel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 12 September 09 12:42 BST (UK) »
Despite losing his leg, Stanley went on to marry and have two children, was close to his 3 grandchildren (one is my husband) and worked for the public service in Wellington.  He kept a diary for a few months in 1917, including the day he was injured - Thursday 7 June - and it also mentions the day his brothers came to visit him in hospital on 17 June where the photos were prossibly taken.   He'd also been injured in 1916 but went back into the fray.  I believe his leg wasn't amputated until later, back in Wellington.

Stanley was in the 14th Mounted Otago Infantry from 1/10/1915, then 8th Company 2nd batallion Otago from 24/3/1916 until 24/4/1918 when he joined NZ Provost Corp.  I have just tried to attach a transcript of the diary and a summary of his service, which my mother in law typed up from the original but it is too large an attachment for this website - sorry, I'll have to get some technical help to shrink it and will share with you ASAP

I also have 3 big old-fashioned exercise books which are a diary that Arthur kept from 1914 to 1917 when he was in the Australian Navy, I'm trying to work out the best way to digitise (to share) and to preserve them.  I haven't finished them yet, but they are an AWESOME read. Arthur was a Leading Seaman on HMAS Melbourne.  He wasn't wounded but had such an interesting war, travelled widely

A couple of weeks ago I sent an email to the NAA asking if Arthur's blue card record can be re-scanned as they're so hard to read (the website says this can be done!) but no action to date.
LAVERY Hugh, from Armagh to Vic Australia in 1861
CHAPMAN William and Elizabeth née HOPE, arrived in South Australia before 1842 from ?
MARKS Augustus Gustave, born 1858 Bergen Norway, arrived Port Augusta South Australia before 1885

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 September 09 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruthel,
You and GwennO2 should contact each other via PM - you would be cousins!

I'm a little confused because I have read on the Auckland Cenotaph database that on 7 June 1917 a Norman Keith Jones was wounded in France, and KIA.  When he embarked he was 10th Reinforcements, 2nd Batallion, F Company.  NZ Army, Rifle Brigade.   Was this chap one of those brothers? Because that would indicate that two of those four lads were wounded on 7 June 1917.   

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/Cenotaph/locations.aspx   I haven't found Stanley's service records there, but then again, I am not sure if that site covers navy records.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline ruthel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 September 09 13:13 BST (UK) »
Oh yeah we've been in touch online, our husbands are third-ish cousins!  Norman is Gwenn's side, so I'll leave it to her to answer that one. 

LAVERY Hugh, from Armagh to Vic Australia in 1861
CHAPMAN William and Elizabeth née HOPE, arrived in South Australia before 1842 from ?
MARKS Augustus Gustave, born 1858 Bergen Norway, arrived Port Augusta South Australia before 1885

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 September 09 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

http://www.cerberus.com.au/

So the spelling of the Navy vessel is CERBERUS ....  Sorry I had a couple of letters back to front.... But, there's real history behind that ship....   First to have NO sail power .... lots more info ....

Read detailed account of the importance of Cerberus :
http://www.nattrust.com.au/trust_register/search_the_register/hmvs_cerberus

Cheers,  JM

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 September 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
Norman was indeed wounded in France (near Armentières I believe) according to his nz military records ... but his middle name is not Keith it's Norman Harding JONES

Hi Ruthel,
You and GwennO2 should contact each other via PM - you would be cousins!

I'm a little confused because I have read on the Auckland Cenotaph database that on 7 June 1917 a Norman Keith Jones was wounded in France, and KIA.  When he embarked he was 10th Reinforcements, 2nd Batallion, F Company.  NZ Army, Rifle Brigade.   Was this chap one of those brothers? Because that would indicate that two of those four lads were wounded on 7 June 1917.   

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/Cenotaph/locations.aspx   I haven't found Stanley's service records there, but then again, I am not sure if that site covers navy records.

Cheers,  JM

MACDONALD (INV/../..);   
JONES (Menzies Ferry, NZ, Monmoutshire, Wales, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Australia)

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 September 09 02:54 BST (UK) »
- Norman JONES was wounded on left knew (shrapnel wound) in July 1916 near Wimereux / Armentière .. it's likely to be him on the photo . He left (after declare unfit for war by military board) england for NZ  21 of  July 1917 .. almost a year after being wounded.

- Ruth,  To share the diaries ... do you have the possibility to scan them in Pdf format ??? it takes less room than a picture file

Despite losing his leg, Stanley went on to marry and have two children, was close to his 3 grandchildren (one is my husband) and worked for the public service in Wellington.  He kept a diary for a few months in 1917, including the day he was injured - Thursday 7 June - and it also mentions the day his brothers came to visit him in hospital on 17 June where the photos were prossibly taken.   He'd also been injured in 1916 but went back into the fray.  I believe his leg wasn't amputated until later, back in Wellington.

Stanley was in the 14th Mounted Otago Infantry from 1/10/1915, then 8th Company 2nd batallion Otago from 24/3/1916 until 24/4/1918 when he joined NZ Provost Corp.  I have just tried to attach a transcript of the diary and a summary of his service, which my mother in law typed up from the original but it is too large an attachment for this website - sorry, I'll have to get some technical help to shrink it and will share with you ASAP

I also have 3 big old-fashioned exercise books which are a diary that Arthur kept from 1914 to 1917 when he was in the Australian Navy, I'm trying to work out the best way to digitise (to share) and to preserve them.  I haven't finished them yet, but they are an AWESOME read. Arthur was a Leading Seaman on HMAS Melbourne.  He wasn't wounded but had such an interesting war, travelled widely

A couple of weeks ago I sent an email to the NAA asking if Arthur's blue card record can be re-scanned as they're so hard to read (the website says this can be done!) but no action to date.
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 13 September 09 06:14 BST (UK) »
Umm,

This photo of four brothers - there's one in Army uniform, two in Sailors uniform and the fourth seems to be wearing civilian clothes, but with perhaps  naval or merchant navy headgear. 

From reading back through this thread, there's two brothers in the NZ army - Stanley Jones and Norman Harding Jones, and there's Arthur Philip Jones in the Australian Navy and a fourth brother in the NZ Navy.

So,
a) the chap in the army uniform is either Stanley or Norman.
b) Arthur is either the sailor who is standing or the sailor who is seated
c) the man in the civilian suit is not Arthur, but may be Stanley ....
d) the first name of the fourth brother is not yet named

Umm, Ruthel and Gwenn02, do either of you have  the military records for Stanley?  Was he army or navy  - I cannot find his details at NZ's fantastic Cenotaph database  ???   And do either of you have first name of the fourth brother please? 

Cheers,  JM